“Fantastic, awesome, delicious place for breakfast”
Review of Byways Cafe

Byways Cafe
Ranked #64 of 4,292 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Pearl
Virginia
“Fantastic, awesome, delicious place for breakfast”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

When we headed to Portland, we planned to look up some triple-D places and this was one. First, if you also do this, be sure to also look at tripadvisor: about half of the places in Portland got really bad reviews here, but not here!!

We went on a Friday morning about 9 am, and waited maybe 10 minutes.

The coffee came quickly and it was awesome! Usually, restaurant coffee is so-so, but this was really good. I asked and it was a medium blend available at a list of places I didn't know (we're not from Portland) or Whole Foods. My wife had decaf (bleh!) and said it was some of the best she's had!

I ordered the blue corm pancakes and we ordered corn beef hash. My wife got the special: 3-egg omelette with ham, tomato, onion, avacado, cheese, peppers...

The pancakes were phenomenal. They were an excellent mix of sweet and not-so-sweet. The pairing with the maple-pecan butter and syrup was perfect. The pancakes themselves reminded me of thin cornbread - not thick & fluffy (I prefer thin - more flavorful!) I would get these every time, And yes, they do look a little blue!

The omelette was also wonderful - lots of ingredients and huge. Delicious.

Turns out, we don't like corn beef hash, so I don't know if theirs was particularly good.

By all means, if you can get there, do it!!

• Visited August 2013

“Down home flavor with modern appeal. Great service too”
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food with fresh ingredients. Fruit was fresh and very tasty. Coffe was good. Corn tortillas were fresh.

Edmonton, Canada
“AMAZING”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Thanks to Trip Advisor we decided to check this place out. Was a short walk on a lovely Saturday morning from where we were staying. We arrived around 9am & had about a 5 minute wait to be seated. Coffee was awesome. Waited about 45 minutes for our food, but we didn't mind the wait. Coffee refills were prompt & frequent. I ordered one of the breakfast dishes that included 3 blueberry pancakes, one egg & 2 slices of bacon. The pancakes were delicious and HUGE - I could only eat one and took the rest in a takeout container. Bacon was thick cut, chewy, crispy, salty, perfect!
My husband ordered a egg/bacon/hashbrown breakfast. He opted out on the toast & instead ordered a biscuit & a side of gravy. We are Canadian & we had never tried biscuits & gravy
before - it was AMAZING! Creamy gravy with sausage pieces & a huge biscuit for dipping. Lets just say the biscuit & gravy would have been a meal in itself!!!
The waiter was very nice & super attentive. Very efficient service - moving people in & out at a good pace! Would definitely return!!! Excellent value! Excellent food!

• Visited July 2013
“Yummy Breakfast with an Indy flair.”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Awesome fried egg sandwich and really cute decor. The rye bread was fresh and delicious. Nice and prompt service and great prices. Overall, a great experience.

Auburn, Washington
“Excellent breakfast”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had biscuits and gravy with basted eggs. Tasted great and a huge portion. We really enjoyed the funky décor and the saucy waitress. A tasty and fun place.

• Visited December 2012