“Excellent, fresh, tasty food, and great service!”
Review of BridgePort Ale House - CLOSED

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I travel to Portland a number of times each year, and usually need a meal in-between meetings (or at night on my way back to the hotel) that is quick, not too expensive, and tasty. This restaurant / ale house meets all those needs!

The menu's descriptions / food names can sound a little dull - but DON'T let the descriptions fool you! The food here is fresh, delightful, and really very unique. The chili (every brewpub has some version of Sysco chili... NOT here!) is really a delight, with artful presentation and flavor. The rice bowl might sound a little boring - but it is AMAZING. Literally, I count the rice bowl (with BBQ Korean style pork) as one of my TOP 5 favorite foods of ALL time. Seriously.

The service here is always quick, responsive, and very down to earth / friendly. On nights when I was too tired to sit in the restaurant, I ordered my food to-go, and it was well packaged, and kept hot for a while in the wrapping.

They have vegan, vegetarian, and meat options - all of which are truly delicious. A MUST stop for any Portland trip!!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Just had a very nice lunch here. I had a "rice bowl" that consisted of a base layer of pork, coverd in rice, topped with pickled onion, jalapeños, a fried egg and avocado. It sounds like an odd combo but it worked! Companion had the burger which was excellent. Nice, clean, good atmosphere. An excellent spot for lunch. Huge servings, so full I skipped dinner!

2  Thank Drewmc50
Reviewed September 24, 2012

One of the better brewpubs in a city with many. We ate there for lunch on a recent trip to Portland and enjoyed the experience. It looks like they took an old warehouse and made it into a pub and restaurant and the place is very interesting and unique. My wife had the salmon which she enjoyed and I had the daily soup and salad which was fine. Can't remember which beer I had but it was very tasty and the server offered several samples prior to my making up my mind as to which one I wanted. Great way to get a beer you really like.
Certainly would stop in again if I am in town. Hard to find a place to park, but that seems to be a problem with all of Portland, no matter where in town you are.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Some good beer offerings. Two cask conditioned beers on hand. We were here 6 years ago - before Bridgeport was bought out by someone else. The beers then were outstanding. This is what happens, unfortunately, when a really good brewer gets taken over by someone who doesn't care as much about the craft.
The food offerings were strange and expensive. We wanted some sort of appetizer - something to share - but there was nothing on the menu that worked. So we didn't order food.
The waitress was not particularly knowledgeable about the beers - or at least not communicative about them. When asked what was in the cask, she answered "IPA and spiced amber" but there were several IPA's - and she didn't seem to want to distinguish between them.
For really serious beer lovers - the server needs to be able to discuss the beers with knowledge and be able to distinguish between different IPAs. Maybe she just didn't care.
With all the wonderful craft beers available on the west coast - you can probably find something better than this. We went there specifically because of a good experience years ago. But times and lack of attention to brewing have apparently changed the place. Very sad.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

The only brewpub we found in Portland where every beer tasted different and good. They really show their brewing skills.
Our salmon melt sandwich was terrific as well. Really good service with lots of tvs for watching the olympics.