“Awful Service paired with O.K. Food”
Review of Eleni's Estiatorio - CLOSED

Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Sellwood - Moreland Improvement League
Portland, Oregon
“Awful Service paired with O.K. Food”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I had reservqtions at Eleni's for 7:00 on a recent Satlurday evening, We arrived on time and the waiter came by after a few minutes. My wife ordered a wine and I a diet coke. They were our of Diet coke. OK, things happen. We ordered a salad, risotto and I seafood stew. After one half an hour our salad had not arrived. When I flagged down the waiter he said they ran out of tomatoes and the chef had gone to the store to get some. Really? The chef leaves the restaurant at 7:30 to buy tomatoes. I sincerely doubt it. Our salad arrived 10 minutes later. Just before the salad the waiter brought by some calamari and said--very close quote--"We have some extra calamari. Do you want it?" Not very helpful. Our dinner arrived about 50 minutes after we ordered. Food was O.K., but so not worth the wait. We paid, and ere literally putting on our coats when the manager came by and offer to comp us dessert. Too little, too late. There are lots of good neighborhood restaurants in Portland. This is not one of them.

• Visited September 2013

Oregon
“Lackluster taste”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Went there for a birthday celebration. It used to have very good food. I assume a change in ownership or staff is the problem. The food was little better than average. Calamari was overdone. Shrimp was OK. The Lamb was best of all, but still not up to the prices charged. What was kind of dumb was a Greek restaurant that didn't have any Feta cheese available.

Someone isn't paying attention to detail. The prices are very high for the quality of food, thus the poor rating. I would look elsewhere for quality Greek food.

• Visited October 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Whenever I want to experience TURKEY, I go to Eleni's.”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

One of my most treasured trips is Turkey. A magical place with incredible food. The whole Mediterranean experience can be found at Eleni's.

Sahara kalamarakia, grilled calamari, is amazing with a simple preperatioon that brings it to a level of perfection.

Melitzanes papoutzakia: roasted, stuffed baby eggplant is my favorite. The spices are exotic.

Kritikia salata is a must have salad. And then add whatever else sounds good.

You can't go wrong with any of their dishes. And the quality is consistent, time after time.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank PALTravel
Portland, Oregon
“Love the Wild Mushroom Dish”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

It comes with orzo pasta but I switch it to risotto and it is perfection. I wish they opened for Happy Hour before 5pm - but I will take what I can get. They offer calamari either marinated/sauted or the breaded/fried. Order the sauted, it is a treat. I usually go when they open and as such, the staff is very attentive.

Visited February 2013
Portland, Oregon
“I think they have closed. Average food, good service.”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This review may be moot, as it looked as if they'd gone out of business recently. But, in case, that is not so, here's what we thought. The Greek food was good, but not anything very special (with a few exceptions, which were quite delicious). The service was informative and attentive. The prices were high for what you get. The atmosphere was very pleasant.

• Visited February 2013