“My favorite place in Portland!”

Karam Lebanese & Syrian Cuisine
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2011

We were staying downtown at the Vintage Plaza and wanted to go to a good meal for our anniversary. We happened upon Karam after searching thru the hundreds of options... We wanted to try something we couldn't get in our hometown of Salem.
We were warmly greeted and loved the family run feel. The hummus is the best I've ever had and the hot pita melts in your mouth and is plentiful! I ordered the kabobs which was a huge portion and 3times more food than I expected! My husband ordered the calzone and was happy with it, although, I think he'll order the kabobs next time.
The dessert menu sounded mouth watering, but we were so stuffed that we couldn't possibly eat it. I am bummed we didn't get a baklava to go!
We are going there again tonight!

1  Thank Susanfromsalem

Reviewed March 8, 2010

We were wanderign downtown Portland when we came across Karam for lunch. It is GREAT.

This is a Lebanese famil who came to PDX and opened a pizza shop. They experinced success and have since brought in their family cooking ot the restaurant and Portland is better for it. The dishes smell great and the flovers are strong, fresh and wonderful.

I has a warm Lebanese sandwich that was Feta, onions and olive oil (mainly). It was wonderful. My wife and a couple fothe appetizers to include babaganouj and hummus. She loved it. The owner was warm and helpful. The service was great.

The reastaurant itself is well decorated and comfortable. It is very quiet but for the ethnic music playing softly.

Recommend.

1  Thank pterbd
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Wow! This place is wonderful. They make the best falafel and hummus I have ever eaten. We all enjoyed the homemade baklava and turkish coffee. The service was excellent and they came to talk with us several times – so friendly. If we lived close, I think we would be frequent visitors. I would be delighted to return here again on our next time in Portland.

1  Thank lusciouskiwi
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed September 11, 2008

The BEST middle eastern around....won't touch M.E. unless it comes from here. Try the Veggie Kebbie Nayae

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 15, 2008

The best part of eating out (for me) is enjoying food that I either can not or am not willing to cook at home. This restaurant is listed on the map of Portland given out at hotels and other establishments for people visiting the city. We took a chance and were delighted: Quiet dining room, attentive staff, and wonderful food. The hummus was first rate (fresh lemon squeezed on top), and the pita bread fresh from the oven arrived at the table looking like an enormous pillow. It was a pleasure to tear off pieces of warm bread and dip it in our food. My husband enjoyed his shwarma, and I loved my vegetable kabob. The baklava for dessert was a very generous piece (twice as large as I would have expected, it was an entire square not a triangle) and delicious. The waitress suggested Turkish coffee, which came to the table in a metal cup with long handle, with lots of steam. I look forward to visiting this restaurant again on our next trip to town, and I've already recommended it to three other people.