“Birthday surprise!!! how about sticker shock!!”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #104 of 4,419 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Taylor Street
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I made reservations for my husbands 50th Birthday. It was a surprise so he had no idea until we got there. We had been to the other location years ago and were very happy so looked forward to having a great Birthday meal. WRONG!!!
Started out with a great table by the window, (got to look at men's buts while they went outside to smoke, and some poor homeless elderly woman going back and forth, back and forth looking for cigarette buts) But a window seat downtown, hey what do you expect. The table had birthday glitter sprinkled on it, our waiter came to the table with 2 glasses of champagne and gave a wonderful toast for my husband. we looked at the menu, I ordered the Ruth Chris special which included, filet, salad and dessert. I also said we would like scalloped potatoes to share and did not mind the extra charge. My husband asked what was good, the waiter talked him into the filet bone-in. he got that with a salad. we told him how we liked our steaks (Pink, NOT red in the middle) he suggested medium well, little pink, no blood. we enjoyed our salad and potatoes. when the steaks came we were sooo excited! all it took was a knife and fork to see it was a disaster! my husbands steak was rare, I mean RARE!!, RAW! mine was WELL DONE! no pink, no juice, chewy and tasteless. the place was packed, we waited for a bit for our waiter to come by, finally we picked at it, my husband ate around the edges of his and I ate about 3 bites of mine, that was all I could stomach. Finally our waiter came back around, I stopped him and showed him our steaks. he said he was so sorry, that it should not have been that way. he then said alan was going to get a free dessert because it was his birthday and I could order of the dessert menu because of my steak. remember my dessert was included) we each ordered off the dessert menu and enjoyed them. Well we were already very disappointed in our steak, then the heart stopper. the bill.... $151.00 OMG I could not believe it. he had 2 beers, I had a drink. $151.00 FREAKING DOLLORS!!!! he charged us for the champagne toast (we didn't ask for it and thought it was complimentary) he charged us for BOTH desserts. he told us earlier in the meal my husbands was free and mine was also because of the steak. (remember, originally mine was included). we were both in shock!! my husband was already upset over his supposedly best steak in the world (so the waiter said) so I did not make a big deal out of the bill acting like it was no big deal, telling him it was his 50th and it did not matter. I am still fuming, and after he found out how much I paid he is too. we will NEVER, NEVER GO BACK, and I am telling everybody I can about the experience.

2  Thank mytwocents2013

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We had a wedding celebration dinner at Ruth's Chris on Nov. 30, 2013 and everything was outstanding. Our table was on the upper level over looking Broadway and there were rose petal's scattered over our table. We were treated like royalty by the entire wait staff. The cowboy rib-eye was the best steak I have ever eaten. Other's in our party had the petite filet, and grande filet and lobster and everything was wonderful! Thank You Ruth's Chris for a memorable dining experience!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I like Ruth Chris very much. It is not the very best steak, but relayable quality for a good price, nice but a litte to quick service and good wine. The Portland location is for sure one of the best for quality and service.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Upon entering the restaurant, the restaurant looked amazing! Dark wood, Shiny brass rails, Spotless glass doors, everything was immaculate!

Dinner was flawless. From the Lamb chops to the bone-in filet special, everything was as expected. Perfect!

You pay a lot of money here but you not just paying for the great food, youre also paying for the service and the atmosphere and both were delivered to a tee.

Thanks again guys! I'll be back!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

As has been our habit, we try and eat at a Ruth's Chris restaurant the final evening of our vacations if there is one in the area. The downtown Portland restaurant is fantastic. Upon checking in I mentioned that we were on our 50th anniversary vacation. Upon being seated at our table we noticed little decorations of shiny bottles, ribbons, stars, etc down the middle of the table and the waiter wished us a happy anniversary. The food was fantastic, service even better. The manager came around and asked how everything was, which is always nice to see. When it was time for our dessert the waiter brought a tray with creme brullee and awesome cookies on it, and written in chocolate was "Happy Anniversary". What a nice touch to end a wonderful evening. Can't wait to dine at another Ruth's Chris soon - unfortunately none close to home.

1  Thank Retired11yrs