“Impressed - great food - good people”
Review of Bijou Cafe

Bijou Cafe
Ranked #67 of 4,630 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Known for our breakfast/brunch offerings for 40 years, we bring our special touch to the amazing local ingredients of the Pacific Northwest. We also offer local beers, wines and full bar service. We hope you will join us sometime soon!
Reviewed December 10, 2015 via mobile

If you only have one day for breakfast skip Mother's and get to the Bijou!

I will preface this review by saying that I worked in restaurants for years & still have investments in some. I might notice or see things others may not ( at times unfortunately ).

We were there this last Sunday morning. It's was bustling & busy. I was surprised at how efficient the host was, she seemed to get everyone seated in a much more timely manner than I expected. She was kind & kept us posted on her progress with our table since we were a larger party. I watched several people hound her & question her. She responded warmly each time. I was already impressed.

Once sat at our table we had friendly prompt service. The menu & special board was filled with tempting options. Omelets & eggs were cooked to perfection. Everyone loved what they had. Great coffee. Mimosas are $10 but they're big and the champagne is quality & the juice is fresh squeezed. Worth every penny.

I don't often see a staff like this. They seemed happy. I saw them work seamlessly together. The support staff were a great team together as well as with the rest of the staff. We were sat near the partly open kitchen. I heard friendly exchanges between the chefs and the servers. Not always the case in most restaurants I've ever worked in.

It's almost as if all of the staff were working together for the same common goal.
What a concept!?

My suspicion is that someone behind the scenes here knows what they're doing
( they have been open for 4 decades with the same owner ) & that the staff knows they have found a good gig. It shows on their faces. It shows through the food.
It shows through the unwillingness to sacrifice quality local everything ( down to the ketchup & jam ) to cut corners or costs.

Bijou is a no brainer. Thank you for the great Sunday brunch. We will be back!

Reviewed December 6, 2015 via mobile

This downtown cafe is hip, with lots of veg and organic options. The omelettes are nice and tasty. I really liked the breakfast potatoes.

Reviewed December 4, 2015 via mobile

Walk through the drapes and a find cozy, serene scene. Adorable waitress. Menu is refreshingly unique. Our food was excellent. Excellent, I tell you. Great start to our day!

Reviewed December 2, 2015

Don't be daunted by the huddle of hungry folk queued up in the foyer --- Bijou brunch is definitely worth the wait. And, the wait wasn't that long; fifteen minutes later and we were seated at our table. The quality of ingredients used were clearly top-notch. And, you are just a few blocks away from the Saturday market to finish the morning with a lovely stroll.

Reviewed November 28, 2015

A bit crowded, so you have to wait for a little while, but it's worth every minute: Everything was prepared with great care and the best ingredients, and the service was very warm. A must in Portland.