“Still dynamite and cozy after all these years”
Review of Bijou Cafe

Bijou Cafe
Ranked #67 of 4,630 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Known for our breakfast/brunch offerings for 40 years, we bring our special touch to the amazing local ingredients of the Pacific Northwest. We also offer local beers, wines and full bar service. We hope you will join us sometime soon!
Reviewed March 17, 2015

On a recent trip to Portland, I dove into one of the haunts from my college years in the 1980s, the Bijou. Although I am sure they have updated most of it, and those working there were probably not born when I first went, the place is still one of the very best for breakfast. Wrapped eggs were bacon-y and spicy with big flavors, and the biscuits tasty as the potatoes on the side. Sitting at the bar, I watched Portland old and young stream in faithfully to enjoy great coffee and wonderful food.

1  Thank Paul J

Reviewed March 15, 2015 via mobile

Hands down phenomenal food. I wanted to try one of everything. I had the cowboy pot roast with fried potatoes, onions, and an egg over medium and it was just like what my dad would make. Absolutely as good as eating at home. They were short staffed on a Wednesday morning but the waitress did a great job and there was very little wait for our food. My only complaint would be that I was looking for a place that serves more alternatives for dietary restrictions and was hoping since they were billed "organic" and such that I might find more gluten-free options. They may have them but maybe don't have them labeled? There also was a lack of dairy alternatives. But with dietary restrictions I figure I just deal with what is available because it isn't their fault. Aside from that, I'll definitely return and scout out the menu some more!

3  Thank Skeslack
Reviewed March 13, 2015

My wife liked their "French" Omelet. The Waitress told us that the French were "fluffy". My wife agreed and really liked the omelet.

Reviewed March 3, 2015

This place is the perfect beginning for what my Dad used to call 'the 2 meal day' when on vacation. A full, filling breakfast with proteins and plenty of coffee - what more could you ask for?

As in all things Portland-ish, it is locally sourced - they can just about tell you the date the bee pollinated the lavender in your calming tea or the family tree of the little oinker which gave it up for your bacon or sausage. I know it's supposed to make me feel good that I'm getting good, fresh stuff because "i-know-the-name-of-the-place-and-I-can-look-it-up-or-check-it-out", but really - who walks out and says - "Nope, not eatin' here - their gorgonzola came from Cal-i-for-NI-yay!"??

OK, rant over. Breakfast was good, fresh, well-prepared but the listed ingredients are just a li'l pretentious for biscuits and gravy. The food is worth eating - if you don't have to swallow the hype.

Reviewed February 18, 2015

and the food (breakfast fritatta) was excellent. they serve large portions, so if you're not ready to eat a lot or take a doggy bag home, maybe split your order. half was plenty. could have had another glass of orange juice but at $4 decided one was enough. so good though! fresh squeezed, for real!