“French Omelet and other real food”
Review of Bijou Cafe

Bijou Cafe
Ranked #66 of 4,593 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Known for our breakfast/lbrunch offerings for 36 years, Bijou cafe now serves dinner Thursday, Friday & Saturday evenings. We bring our special touch to the amazing local ingredients of the Pacific Northwest. We also offer local beers, wines and full bar service. Many evenings feature live jazz with local musicians. We hope you will join us sometime soon.
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were told of this place by local and he was right! WOW - it was fantastic. We will never buy Heinz Ketchup again - sorry Warren.

Inspired: the French Omelet and the organic Muir Glen ketchup

Atmosphere: great

Food: amazing

Service: Eve was excellent

Return: absolutely - our best meal in Portland!

Found: recommended by Scott Klees at Pedal Bike Tours

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We enjoyed breakfast here on a Monday morning and it was very good. The large dining room has soaring ceilings with a beautiful huge impressionistic landscape painting on one wall and large sepia tinged photographs over the bar. The small tables are very close together and you can't help hearing several conversations around you, but it's breakfast...so not a big deal. Just know that it is very noisy and loud. My husband had the Olympic Provisions sausage and eggs and I had the bacon and eggs. Both were very good and I liked that the eggs and roasted potatoes were not overly seasoned, so you are able to add the salt and pepper you like. I had a baguette with my meal, instead of toast or a banana muffin and it would have appreciated it if they had cut the hunk of french bread in half instead of serving it as one large piece. It was difficult to cut with a table knife. The strawberry preserves were delicious and the server very friendly. Definitely a good place to go for a quick breakfast.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

They moved the entrance since I was last in; added more room, better flow. Friendly staff, quick service, good, interesting breakfast items with an emphasis on local organic ingredients. I have always liked the coffee and espresso here. There is an unobstructed view of 3rd & Pine out the window from pretty much every table. There is also a long bar to sit at.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

After reading other reviews commenting on the strong smell in the restaurant I was hesitant to try it (just a guess here, but I think the smell could be from a spice they use, perhaps epazote?) I'm so glad we did. I tend to notice the slightest of scents, but by the time my coffee arrived I no longer noticed the smell.

I'm not sure how French Toast could be so perfect. I mean, it's French Toast. How different can it be from one restaurant to another? Whatever they do to their French Toast, and it isn't just the perfectly puffy Challah bread, elevates it to complete awesomeness. It isn't too sweet and didn't even need the pure maple syrup or the only found in the Pacific Northwest Boysenberry Syrup. I tried the Boysenberry Syrup which was more than corn syrup with coloring you might be use to seeing at chain pancake houses. The essence of Boysenberries made you want to pour it on anything you owned. I simply poured some on my empty plate and spooned it up since the French Toast was long gone by that point.

We went back the next day, and oops, the next day as well. My husband enjoyed their hash, omelets and other offerings. The building is a nice mix of what I think of as funky Portland: warm, interesting and good artwork. Though the room has high ceilings the noise level was never too loud as the open woodwork must help absorb the sound. Wait staff were pleasant and friendly. Service was good. The restaurant is clean. If we would have stayed longer we would have gone back again. After growing up in Portland and it nice to revisit the area and find treasures like the Bijou Café. Looking forward to an early winter visit when I can see how the French Toast tastes in November.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

On October 6, 2013 my wife, my daughter and I had breakfast at the Bijou Cafe. We went there on the recommendation of a relative who lives in the area. Fortunately for us there was not a substantial weight. However I would warn you that on weekends the place seems to get mom. My wife had an omelette, My daughter had a special apple pancake and I had a very simple All-American type breakfast. The food was fresh hot and very tasty. The service was excellent. I would certainly return to the Bijou again. Should you find yourself in the area I would unequivocally recommend this place for breakfast