“Consistently excellent”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Known for our breakfast/lbrunch offerings for 36 years, Bijou cafe now serves dinner Thursday, Friday & Saturday evenings. We bring our special touch to the amazing local ingredients of the Pacific Northwest. We also offer local beers, wines and full bar service. Many evenings feature live jazz with local musicians. We hope you will join us sometime soon.
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“Consistently excellent”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have been coming here for breakfast for many years when in Portland on business travel.
Despite its location in a sketchy neighborhood and limited parking it is one of the best places in Portland for breakfast or lunch.
They know how to cook a French omelet and I have never had a miss on any of their several choices of omelets. The oyster omelet is a winner as is the one I had today, cheese omelet. It comes with home fried potatoes and toast or muffin. The server missed on one count when I ordered muffin I got toast, but it was all so good I didn't want to complain.
Their fresh squeezed orange juice is always a treat and so superior to the bottled from concentrate served in the majority of restaurants under the label "fresh".
Service is skillfull and efficient. Usually friendly as well.
Final touches such as organic ketchup and local jam make it complete.
They serve some of the best coffee in Portland (Kobos).
You get an honest value for the money and that is one reason the place is always crowded every morning. Expect to wait a while for a table at peak hours.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Malice6

Victoria BC
“Good, bright brunch”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I went here on a recommendation of a friend. Maybe they built it up too much but it was only just Very good not Amazing like we were told. We didn't wait for a Friday brunch table at 10:00 and had lovely, pleasant service. The two items we wanted were already sold out - bisquits being one of them.

Coffee was good, atmosphere was bright and cheery and the food was better than average and reasonably priced but I was looking for something in the Wow! factor area and didn't get it. My husband had the roast beef hash and I had an omelet. Mine was better.

• Visited September 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Great vegan breakfast!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Can't believe how tough it was to find a vegan breakfast in Portland! Thankfully, the concierge at our hotel recommended this place. Great tofu scramble, potatoes, toast, and fresh squeezed OJ. Delicious and priced well. Skip the coffee and go directly next door to Stumptown Roasters.

• Visited September 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Unusual flavors that are very fresh”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

From the fresh squeezed orange juice to the oyster hash with grilled onions and potatoes breakfast was really fresh and wholesome tasting. Place was busy with a short wait but tables turned pretty quickly. Nice change from everyday bacon & eggs.

Visited August 2013
Chicago
“Good Breakfast”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Friendly, bright and lively place, clearly popular with locals. House coffee and fresh juices are very pleasing. I'm wondering about the "French" part.

The staff was attentive and pleasant. A little less attentive to the local yap would have served my time frame a little better. Not that I was in a hurry, I just didn't need to wait as long as I did. When not chit chatting, the staff are ensuring the happiness of the customer, even asking if a coffee warm up was wanted, rather than the usual indiscriminate "warm up" in your cup whether you liked one or not.

Every plate appears to be made with fresh and wholesome ingredients. The helpings certainly were generous, and the cost reasonable. In the end, an average offing. While the menu speaks of inspiration, it doesn't make it to the plate. Never got the "French" part.

• Visited August 2013