“Exactly what I was looking for”
Review of Baan-Thai

Baan-Thai
Ranked #876 of 4,293 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Grants Pass, Oregon
“Exactly what I was looking for”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The concierge at my hotel recommended Baan-Thai. I went there for at early (5 pm) dinner on Sept 16, 2013. When I go earlier and/or am eating alone, I often find that I am ignored. Not the case at Baan-Thai. The service was immpecable. I was checked on, but didn't feel they were hovering over me. The waitress was very knowledgeable about the spiceness of the curry and was able to describe it in such a way that I was able to order the perfect yellow curry. And the yellow curry was the best I had ever had. The Thai ice tea was also very good in that it wasn't overly sweet or cloying. If you are looking to support local businesses with a great product, this is the place to eat. Not too fancy, very clean and comfortable.

• Visited September 2013

New York City, New York
“The best Thai I've tasted so far”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Whenever I go to Portland I always eat there! Its so good!! Be careful it can be spicy but the everything tastes so good!
You can also pick it up.

I recommend!

• Visited September 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Holy Hotness!!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

A friend of mine suggested this place but warned me about how hot the food is. He said that their medium is like hot somewhere else. Of course I had to try it for myself, so I ordered my stir fry medium-plus thinking it should be just fine. Talk about spicy, oh my. It was way hot, probably the hottest Thai food I have ever had in my life including the food I ate while I was in Thailand. The flavor was amazing though, wonderful dishes to choose from. I'd recommend trying mild-plus or even regular medium if you are a person who likes your Thai food hot.

The Pad Thai and chicken satay here are also great. Based on my first experience here, it's definitely worth it! Highly recommend giving it a try. Believe the listing for this restaurant says its on the 2nd floor but the restaurant has just recently changed the layout. They want everyone to enter though the door on the ground floor and are actually somewhat unpleasant if you come in the upstairs door. My thought is that they should just lock the upstairs door, but hey...not my problem I suppose.

• Visited April 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Be prepared for spicy!!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This place has the spiciest Thai food in all of Portland. Flavorful and brings the heat. "Medium" on there scale is equivalent to HOT on most other scales.

Portland, OR
“Finger-licking, tear-producing good!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just awesome food. We ordered 4 dishes and every single one of them was oozing with the flavors of Thai spices. Food can get pretty spicy. I have a high tolerance but I was glad I ordered medium. Ambiance is nothing to rave about. Service is excellent and prompt. Prices are reasonable.

• Visited September 2012