“Pleasant experience”
Review of Paley's Place

Paley's Place
Reserve with OpenTable
Paley's Place is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 4,560 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest District
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Cozy and friendly. Enjoyed the meal. Kobe tartar was great. Staff was prompt and courteous. I have already recommended this place.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

You will need reservations as there is limited seating and they only serve dinner. If you call early in the day and leave a request they will call later to confirm it. The dining room can be rather cozy!

The menu focus is on local, organic and sustainable practices. The menu changes nightly so what you ordered on your last visit may not be available on your next visit.

We sat on the front porch, great on a warm summer evening but service was slow. We arrived at the peak of the dinner hour and it took 10 minutes or so for server to arrive and take drink orders and another 15 minutes for the drinks to arrive. We were told that since all meals are prepared when ordered it is best to order early and sip a glass of wine.

We started with a Charcuterie Taste of Three for $19. Two of us shared this and it was a ‘taste’ as the servings of each item were small. Next we divided a pear salad. It was more than enough and delicious! Both of these arrived without undue delay.

The main courses are offered in half or full orders. My lady ordered the Maine Diver Scallops a la Plancha. She asked how many scallops were in each serving and was told that, depending the size of the scallops, there would be 2 or 3 in the half and 3 or 4 in the full. She ordered the full. She received 3 nice large scallops and was very satisfied.

I was interested in the New York strip steak. The half order was only 4 ounces so I sprang for the full order at $40. The accompanying vegetables were great and done to a T. However, the steak left a LOT to be desired! At $40 for an 8 ounce steak ordered medium rare I expected to be able to cut it with a fork. That was NOT the case! I had to saw it with a steak knife. I had to leave two large bites of gristle as well. I let our server know and he said that he would inform the chef.

We finished with a fresh baked Chocolate Soufflé, Grand!

I am a beer aficionado but my lady prefers a full bodied red wine. If there isn’t a wine she recognizes she will often go with the house suggestion that is also offered by the glass. We usually order a bottle as the cost is about the same as 3 glasses and we can enjoy the rest at home. It was late and we had had a busy day. We were about 3 blocks from the restaurant when we realized we had forgotten the wine. As we were turning around the restaurant called to let us know about our error. GREAT Service!!

All in all we had a very good meal and a nice finish to a long day. For the most part, service was good but not pushy and the front porch was a great place for people watching on a warm evening. I guess even the best restaurants can get a bad cut of meat but that won’t stop us from returning.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I recently dined at Paley's Place with 3 others for a special birthday dinner. It was my first time at the restaurant. Although it has a great reputation, I always end up a newer restaurants in Portland. So many pop up it has hard to keep track of them all. I am happy that I finally gave PP a try.

Since I was there, I thought I might as well go full tilt and try some of the specialty dishes they are known for. So, I started with the Beef Tartare with Duck Egg, and had the Veal Sweetbreads as my main course. I mixed the Tartare with all of the accompaniments and dug in. It was amazing. So fresh, tender and rich. I could have ordered another serving, not because it was a small dish, but because of the sensational taste. As for the Sweetbreads, it was my first time trying them. I had no expectations, good or bad, but now, I just want to go back and eat more. Lightly pan fried so they have a nice, crispy exterior, with a delicate and smooth interior. No harsh or odd taste at all. Wonderful presentation and serving size. It was a perfect dish.

My friends had salmon and pork dishes, which were all wonderful as well. Excellent service and setting too.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We enjoyed dinner at Paley's 4 years ago when we were in Portland and decided to go again. We were not disappointed. We started with several pates. The liver pate was the best I've ever had. The entrees were so tasty and creative. We had the crispy sweetbreads, the pork loin and the clams. The menu changes with what is most available and fresh. Make a reservation because it is a very small dining room. Enjoy!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I dined at Paley's last past Sunday evening. This is our third time at Paley's. As always, the food never disappoints. The restaurant deserves all of the accolades it receives. Our only personal reservation (and from the reviews we seem to be alone in this) is the restaurant is a little dark inside. And when the restaurant is full, it can get a little noisy. (Having rhe right table can make all the difference. Am sure the locals know which tables to ask for). But if food is the primary reason for going (and for us it is) then this is a great restaurant for sure.