“As great as ever!”
Review of Paley's Place

Paley's Place
Reserve with OpenTable
Paley's Place is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest District
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great service and presentation to go with great food. Prices are actually very reasonable. The "half portion" size is actually what most of the world considers a full meal.

A really nice evening.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Cons: Pretentious, long wait (more than 15 minutes to the dishes came), mediocre food, small pricey portions, different dishes with the same sides.

Pros: nice server, delicious dessert, fresh oysters and terrific bread.

We had
- Oysters
Very fresh and tasty.
- Duck
Good but the Brussels sprouts weren't well cooked.
- Halibut
The fish was very good but the Brussels sprouts weren't well cooked and the clams were overcooked. And the Halibut portion was really small.
- Olive oil cake
This was very creative and delicious. It comes with goat cheese, apricots and walnuts. It was the best part of our dinner.
I expect more from a James Beard nominee (2013). Overall I think that this restaurant is mediocre, overrated and overpriced.

1  Thank HelenaGuerra
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I are "foodies"; and when we needed a Portland restaurant to celebrate a major event with another couple, we picked Paley's Place.

I worked with David, the day manager, to arrange a "tasting menu" withe the following courses: amuse-ouche, oysters on the half shell, charcuterie, fish, meat, cheese, dessert and coffee. I brought paired wines from my cellar. We had a table for the entore evening (7:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.) in the small, well appointed room on the south.

In summary, the meal ranks in my "top ten" of all time. I won't go through all the dishes, but will use a few highlights as examples of the service.

Keep in mind that I provided David with a general framework for the dinner and a list of wines. I also noted a couple of individual food preferences and sensitivities. Then the chef took over and orchestrated the specific choices, which we learned only as they were presented.

Very thoughtfully, each of the specifics was accodated. In addition, they cleverly served two dishes each course -- one selection served to the men and the other to the women, with encouragement to share -- which we, of course did. This essentially doubled the dining experience. For dessert, we were served four different selections, which was a phenomenal way to cap off a terrific meal.

During our planning, I'd mentioned how much I loved "Belon" (flat) oysters, which are native to France and the UK. I hadn't really expected to see them, but "Voila" the oyster plate include Belons, "Li'l Oly's" (native Olympian oysters) and ones from Yaquina Bay.

Ditto, I'd mused that it would be interesting to have a red meat dish with the old Bordeaux that was as "classic" as a ribeye steak, but also something more than just what I'd grill at home. Well, we got both -- the women were served perfect grilled ribeye's and the men were served a braised elk dish. Oh man, what a combination!

During the entire evening, the service was impeccable. Leisurely-paced, but always aware if we needed something. Kimberly Paley (Vitally's wife) made all of us feel like we were special guests in her home, adding to the evening's pleasure.

I hope you have a chance to share such a treat in your own dining!

[A final note. The cost of this incredible evening was very, very reasonable.]

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Interesting dishes... with a lot of meat dishes.
I went with a regular portlandite, who is a foodie and he loves the place for those meat dishes.
Sitting at the bar is an experience for the female bartender remembered that we were there a year ago.
I like the potato chips and salads, and their special soup that night was creamy and flavorful.
It is a happening local place with a lot of Portland types who come to sit at the bar and dine on
Paley's fine food, and it is fine food.
The restaurant was full when we arrived at around 9:00 PM but the maitre'd gave us a little alcove in which to wait and it was worth waiting for !

The desserts were also special, even the creme brûlée was the best I have ever tasted because of its creaminess and size... not your usual little dollar sized scoop of creme brulee but one that can be shared well.

I will return and hopefully it will not be a year !

Reviewed February 4, 2013

As Portlander and a Foodie, I can vouch for Paleys; I often take picky out of town guests to Paleys, because it is consistently excellent. Not always outstanding (although sometimes it is that), but always excellent. Great service, creative kitchen (even when Vitaly Paley is not in town--I recently ate there when he was in Florida and the food was great), great location, very good wine, fair corkage. One of the best in Portland, day in day out, and not in a weird edgey location, as some of Portland's other better restaurants are located, (it seems that many well-located restaurants in Portland live off of where they are located rather than on what they serve---not with Paleys, even though its location is perfect--in other words it is one of the best west-side places in town.).