“Lovely pastries, French atmosphere”
Review of St Honore Bakery

St Honore Bakery
Ranked #4 of 70 Bakeries in Portland
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Northwest District
“Lovely pastries, French atmosphere”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

they even have two nice gluten free pastries. There re inside and outside tables or take the food with you.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Amyarizona1

SIERRA MADRE
“To DIE for good.”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

St. Honoré Boulangerie is an authentic French bakery (the owner is from Normandy) on the edge of the trendiest shopping area in NW Portland, but just far enough away from the crowds that parking is fairly easy to find. It's comfy with two walls of sliding glass doors, outdoor seating, and lighting that somehow makes the bread, pastry and dessert display look dazzling, like it's on stage.

I was on vacation in Portland and, as a baker, I had a list of a dozen bakeries I planned to try around the city based on extensive advanced research. I fell so in love with St. Honore that I went back 3 times in two days to get all the things I had to try. I had croissants, sandwiches, cranberry & hazelnut roll, bacon roll (OMG), chouquettes and brioche. There was nothing I didn't like, but my favorites were Kouign Amann and the most perfect canales I have ever had. There's a whole subculture in France that describes the way canales must be made--takes days and special molds and beeswax to do it right--and these did not disappoint.

In fact, I thought I had to try the famed Portland donut palace, which has a line 40 tourists deep 24/7…so I went by a satellite in SW Portland my last morning after swinging by St. Honore to get my canales when they finally restocked. After standing in line and watching donuts the size of a toddler's head spinning in the case, coated with Tang and breakfast cereal, I just couldn't work up an appetite for the fried sugar with those canales waiting in my car, so I walked out with no regrets. If there's only ONE spot you can visit in Portland, save your appetite for St. Honoré.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank native210
Palo Alto, California
“Great bakery...”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The bakery is terrific. You can eat a wonderful pastry inside or outside. Lots of freshly baked bread smells so good!!
You will find something that you like. The staff is pretty friendly and willing to help you. A very good place.

Visited July 2013
Los Angeles
“Disappointing first experience.”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We ordered several items for breakfast and had various results:
. cafe au lait: very weak coffee taste, foam is OK, cup is small for the price; not good.
. small chocolate croissant: not enough chocolate, thick dough;
. salade nicoise: generous portion, nice taste, french beans almost raw, served with grain toast bread instead of baguette bread (I thought this was a French bakery)!
. rhubarb tart: very good;
. croissant: good but again dough was thick;
. quiche: very good.

The place was very busy, waited in line to order, the service brings your order to your table, quite expensive (almost $60 for 3 people).

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank NewUlysses
“Rich Buttery Goodness!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I thought I had died and gone to France!
This patisserie is the real thing. Breads are dense with interesting flavours, the pastries are rich with butter, breve's are made to perfection, and the cakes are oh la la:) I would go every morning if I lived in Portland.

• Visited July 2013