“Amazing Food”
Review of Heathman Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Heathman Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Salmon
Grass Valley, California
“Amazing Food”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had made reservations there 2 years ago but missed them and when we did arrive they were closed. We were very disappointed. Then this last weekend we were visiting Portland with friends and we were looking for someplace to eat breakfast. We were walking by the Heathman and they were serving, we checked out the menu and it looked really great. We went in and were seated immediately even though we did not have reservations and it was pretty busy. The hostess checked all of our coats for us. The whole staff was gracious and courteous. I had the duck confit hash, my husband had the Kahlua pork biscuits & gravy. They were out of this world awesome! It was so good we went back the next morning (Sunday) it was packed with people and again we had no reservations and were seated immediately and given a window seat. We had a great experience and can't wait to go back and try dinner or lunch.

Portland, Oregon
“If you're paying for attitude, you'll definitely get your money's worth.”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have a very special memory from when I was little, when my father took my sister and I to the ballet, and then the Heathman for dinner.

It was the first time I ever had rabbit, and the memory stuck with me. It was garnished with pistachios and they had at least four different kinds of bread. I was 5 years old, and awestruck.

I tell that story a lot, and my boyfriend listens. I've been having a hard time recently after having graduated into a really tough job market. I'm stressed, having health problems, and living with my parents, so he decided to treat me to another special dinner at the Heathman for my 26th birthday.

He wouldn't tell me where we were going, and when we finally stopped in front of the beautiful old building, my jaw dropped. I was so excited, it was so thoughtful, this was going to be the best birthday dinner EVER.

Nobody acknowledged us when we walked in. I awkwardly asked another couple if they had already spoken to a hostess, or if they were waiting for someone to show their face at the front desk. They said they were just waiting to be seated and had already checked in for their reservation.

Close to fifteen minutes pass when a hostess finally stops at the front desk to make a phone call, it was too loud to hear anything she said. When she hung up I (very politely) got her attention and asked if we could check in, since we had a reservation. She looked at us with disdain, paused, and said "this way." No smile, no "sorry for the wait," just those two words. She sat us between the front door and a group of drunk businessmen, then walked away without another word. My boyfriend barely had enough space to pull his chair out. I was freezing. Nobody said anything to us for quite a while, I'd say at least another 10 minutes. Finally a man (who didn't identify himself as a server or say anything to us) came and poured our water. He didn't even let us know when someone would be with us, and briskly walked away before we had a chance to ask.

Here's the deal. I get that the Heathman is busy, that's why my boyfriend made reservations. As a matter of fact, he specifically mentioned that it was my birthday and I had very fond memories of the place, so he wanted to do something special. They promised him that it would definitely live up to our expectations. He asked about the menu and was told that it fluctuated depending on the "season." He asked how to dress and was told "dressy casual."

He isn't from Portland and had never been to the Heathman. He wore nice jeans and a button up and I wore a dress with light green tights and cowgirl boots (one scenario where it's apparently frowned upon to have a personality). People gave us the up and down right when we walked in. Nobody smiled, not even once.

My boyfriend asked what looked good and it broke my heart to say "nothing..." I've had venison before, and now that I'm an adult, I realize it's not worth $40 for a tiny entree, especially when we're being treated so poorly. We didn't even get bread. We were on time for our reservation, and it still took an hour to acknowledge us (barely), seat us (poorly), and get us some water. He did something so thoughtful for me and the Heathman quite literally ruined it. We put two dollars on the table as a small apology for drinking their water, and then we ditched. We walked all the way to Burnside and ended up at Mazatlan, which was the only place where there wasn't a wait. We had average Mexican food (although the steak in the steak tacos was amazingly tender and well seasoned), paid average prices, and listened to people sing Will Smith's "Welcome to Miami" (poorly)... but it was still better than the Heathman. As a matter of fact, I would recommend Mazatlan over the Heathman any day.

If you're the kind of person who equates class or status with money, or thinks that people deserve to be treated based solely on their appearance or the health of their 401k... You are the scourge of our society. You are actively making Portland a worse place, and I think you should leave. Seriously.

There are amazing restaurants all over town that have local, organic, healthy, exotic dining options complete with a wonderful atmosphere and friendly staff. For example, Equinox on N. Shaver street has amazing Risotto, a beautiful outdoor seating area, and wonderful, friendly accommodating staff. Seems to be something that Portland is short on these days.

Dear Heathman: Were it not for my amazing boyfriend, you probably would have ruined my birthday. Shame on you for overcharging based on your "status" rather than actual merit.

2 Thank Rachel L
Gold Beach, OR
“Average food and service”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

For the prices they charge I was very disappointed with our meal. We had a pear appetizer, which was so small we had one little bite each. We shared a salad of pear and apple and it was adequate. I had duck for my entree and with a serrated knife couldn't cut a good portion of it. I had half my plate with unedible duck and fat which went to the garbage. Our waiter was friendly when he had time for us but seemed to disappear for long periods. It was busy but when paying those prices you should have the full attention of your server. We aren't demanding people but we were very disappointed in our dining experience. I don't think we will be going back.

“Not woth it.”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Food was mediocre at best (canned crab, avocado that was identical to Costco guacamole), yet expensive. Service was slow and indifferent. A disappointimg evening out.

1 Thank pazduha
Port Angeles, Washington
“Audacious and pricy!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Arrived for our birthday celebration 15 minutes early, but were seated 15 minutes after our reservation. Overall, the service was good. However, the food was extremely disappointing.

For whatever reason, I had a throat burning, eye watering reaction to the $11 Caesar salad. This was odd because the entire salad consisted of 10 or so slender inner sprigs of Romaine dusted with a small amount of dressing, and 6 extremely hard croutons that I thought I'd lose a filling trying to eat. Thankfully, they took the salad off my bill.

For the entrée, I had the bouillabaisse, what little there was of it in the bowl; 8 tiny clams, 6 small mussels, a couple of 1" squares of fish, and three very overcooked jumbo shrimp, served in about 1/2 a cup of mediocre broth, .....for $26! OUCH!

The 'house wine' the waiter recommended to match the entree was okay, but there was barely 2 oz in the glass, which was far less than the half a glass many of the other posters received, ....yet they charged $11 for it! $11 for a small splash house wine?

But a final note to the wise:

READ THE CHECK BEFORE YOU SIGN IT! THE PRICE INCLUDES AN 18% TIP!!!!

The blank tip line is for anything you want to give them over what they have already included!

Big prices, small portions, poor cooking techniques, and the automatic assumption of me giving them a full TIP, is a little too audacious for this palette, ...and this wallet. I live in northern WA, so I doubt I'll ever make it back there. But IF I lived close by, I would not be back.

• Visited January 2013