“Do NOT order the Kuhlua Biscuit and Gravy”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Heathman Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Heathman Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Salmon
Madison, Wisconsin
“Do NOT order the Kuhlua Biscuit and Gravy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

We had heard great things about the Heathman Restaurant and Bar, so we decided to try it for breakfast one Sunday morning. We arrived around 8:30, about 30 minutes to early for Brunch so we were given the breakfast menu. I love Biscuits and Gravy so when I saw the Kahlua Pork Biscuits and Gravy, I knew exactly what I was getting. My partner ordered the Salmon Hash. Our server was prompt with beverage orders and refills. The place was busy, not crowded, but it took a surprising amount of time for our food to arrive. When our breakfast did finally show, I was somewhat disappointed. I saw a large bowl with a decent sized biscuit, but the merest drizzle of gravy. Certainly not enough to coat the biscuit, barely enough to even cover the bottom of it. It did come with a huge chunk of pork. But the pork was vile. Nearly all of it was loose, squishy fat. Very little actual meat. And what meat there was contained almost zero flavor. It needed salt. It needed pepper. It was terrible. I ate the biscuit, which w/out enough gravy was rather dry. The gravy, what there was of it, was tasty. I ate some of the meat where I could find it in the fat, but most I had to just push aside. It was very bad. My partner thought his hash was fine. He laughed since he found a single caper in it. Since capers are often served with salmon we weren’t sure if they meant to include capers in which case they should have added more or if it was accidently included because the salmon was meant for a different dish. This was by far the most appalling meal we’ve eaten in Portland and not at all what we expected from the Heathman Restaurant.

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Disappointing Christmas brunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

I had made a reservation for Christmas brunch. We arrived a few minutes early and fought our way through the crowded entry to the hostess station. I gave our name and she said "I have you checked in now" but did not say how long of a wait it would be. We then stood around for another 10-15 minutes and then asked when we would be seated. We were seated shortly thereafter. The server took our order fairly quickly. It took an excessive amount of time for the food to be served and no effort was made to refill our drinks in the interim. We were also missing some silverware which we had to request. Our food eventually came and we then felt rushed as plates were cleared for the people who had finished already and made the ones who were still eating feel hurried. The food was okay but nothing spectacular. I had checked the special xmas brunch menu online in advance to make sure everyone in our party would be satisfied and then the menu we were given did not match the online menu which was frustrating. All in all, not a great experience. I realize it was a holiday but would expect the Heathman to be better prepared to handle a Christmas day crowd.

Portland, Oregon
“Exceptionally...Average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

After staying at the Heathman Hotel last night, my wife and I decided to try their restaurant for breakfast. I had the traditional eggs benedict and she had scrambled eggs with bacon. Both dishes arrived luke warm which is a shame because the food itself was made from local ingredients expertly prepared. Had the food made it to the table piping hot, it would have made for an exceptional breakfast. The bacon variety was only slightly better than average but locally sourced. The decaf coffee I'd asked for was not very fresh but our server refilled it constantly and was both pleasant and attentive throughout the meal. Had we been at a local breakfast joint at local breakfast joint prices, I'd say it was all pretty good. But, this was The Heathman (at Heathman prices) and should have been better.

1 Thank Eighty8da
Wilsonville OR
“Holiday Tea will be a family tradition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

Our Holiday Tea experience at the Heathman has prompted a special family occasion from now on. The dining area was festive with sparkling holiday decorations, the tables were set with set with crisp white linen, crystal stemware. and procelain, and the welcome was friendly and helpful. Then the food service started. A small pot of special tea for each diner was served, then a tower of treats was brought that featured smoked salmon profiteroles, chicken salad panini, goat cheese crostini, mini cucumber sandwich, deviled egg, crispy scones with marscarpone, Lanai banana bread, Parisian Opera bread, coconut cake with coconut chiboust, lemon bar, chocolate tea cake, and house-made marshmallows. Needless to say, we were delighted at the assortment of tastes and textures carefully assembled by the chefs at The Heathman. Sparkling bruts were available to start the tea and definitely sharpened our taste buds for the treats to come. I need to mention our delightful server who, with her sparkling smile and pleasant conversation, seemed to be dedicated to just our table, but, in fact, was providing the same impeccable to several others. I'm sorry I don't remember your name, my dear, but you know who you are. Afternoon tea is served year around at The Heathman but the Holiday Tea only runs from the end of November thru the first of January. It appears that reservatiuons are a must and a couple of days in advance is certainly wise.

portland, oregon
“Not impressed at all!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

We had reservations and still waited for a rather long time. Finally seated (at a great table), then waited and waited and waited... When we placed our order (the waiter was very personable) but then when we got the food, mine was cold, bland and half way through the meal, we finally got water. I really don't like cold food, being ignored and not ever seeing a waiter to see how things are. When I got my meal and found it was cold, I waited for the waiter so I could have him at least put it in the microwave, but he never appeared again until 20 minutes after finishing eating. I would never recommend this place and I won't return. There are too many excellent restaurants in Portland to waste money at a place like this.

Visited December 2011