“Yummy birthday dinner”
Review of Castagna

Castagna
Reserve with OpenTable
Castagna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #368 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: SE 18th
Transit: Trimet bus line #14
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We decided to go to Cafe Castagna for my birthday dinner in early May. The weather in Portland was amazing and we sat outside on the patio, which while right off of Hawthorne was very pleasant and had a cute view of houses across the street.

The food was delicious. We started with a couple of cocktails and a scallop appetizer. Fresh, light, and cooked perfectly. We moved on to the asparagus and egg pizza. The crust was tasty tasty! We finished up with a New York Strip - the fries that came with it were probably the best fries I have ever had a restaurant. Finished with two desserts, a rhubarb and strawberry crisp and a gelato in espresso.

The server was attentive and gave good recommendations on food. Not as helpful when it came to the cocktails, as I wanted something spicy. The first one I had was delicious, but when I asked for a little more kick, she told me she didn't think they could do it. Muddling a jalepeno or adding something (I'm sure the bartender could have advised) would have sufficed. Not a huge problem though - that would be my only complaint.

Go and try it out!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had dinner here yesterday w/ friends and we can't say enough good things about the restaurant and staff. Not only did all our senses delight in the parade of food from start to finish, we were also most impressed with how attentive the staff was in particular to our son's nut allergy. When he could not partake of a certain dish, they substituted another. They never made him feel like it was a nuisance. We have eaten in many top restaurants and Castagna stood out in this regard. When I unfortunately had to leave before I could finish my dinner to take care of our dogs back in the hotel, the staff promptly informed me they would adjust the pre-fixe bill to exclude what I could not partake of, and offered to whip something up from the cafe for me to take for dinner instead. Our families had an unforgettable experience and our tweens ( sounding very much like judges on Iron Chef ,and who were at all times treated equally with respect as the adults) are still talking about the amazing fusion of flavors they enjoyed. Overall, it is an experience worth repeating and next time, I will make sure the dogs stay home!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Since the Fall of 2009, I have dined at Castagna in between 25 to 30 times. I am finally writing a review. I think by now I have a deep understanding of this restaurant. About half of my visits were with Chef Lightner running the kitchen and half with Chef Justin. As most people know, Chef Lightner opened Atera in NYC and received 2 Michelin stars in its first year. Chef Justin has built upon the foundation created by Chef Lightner. I readily admit that the food is challenging. There is no restaurant in Portland like Castagna. The flavor combinations are innovative, yet there are always delicious (at least in my opinion). Just to give one example during my last visit, Chef brought out a dish of duck confit with winter roses---a stunning dish.

The desserts are the best Portland has ever seen. Chef Justin combines with Pastry Chef Eve to create incredibly sophisticated desserts. Justin spent 1.5 years working under then-pastry chef Alex Stupak at wd-50 and Chef Eve spent, I think, 5 years in Paris with one of those years working with the Robuchon team under legendary Francois Benot. It is worth going to Castagna just for the desserts.

I admit that Castagna is not for everyone. But for those who love it, will REALLY love it.

One more thing, there is Castagna and Cafe Castagna, and they are located right next to each other. Castagna is the one with Chef Justin running the kitchen. Cafe Castagna is the casual restaurant.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Enjoyed the tasting menu with paired wines and it was wonderful. Very interesting items and the staff explained each dish carefully. Paired wines were very good and complimented the food well. However the wine to food ratio was heavy on the wine side and didn't feel safe to drive after the dinner was over.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Micro portions of odd combinations of flavors a godsend. Should have left after the mediocre $10 cocktail, followed by an expensive prix fixe menu of almost inedible "snacks", overly creative and weird entries, pretty yet lackluster desserts. Having been to castagne several years ago and loving it, was sorely disappointed on this visit.