“Food for the Stomach and Soul”

Lemongrass Thai Restaurant
Ranked #657 of 4,847 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2016

I had a unique and delightful experience dining in Lemongrass recently this week. The food, to put it lightly, was superb. Furthermore, the hospitality and kindness that I experienced are that of honest Portland folk looking to create honestly great dining experiences for its customers. The location itself was as charming as the food served on my dinner plate, from Thai green curry with beef to the mixed vegetables, everything was superb. I would highly recommend making a trip down to the restaurant during dinner time as the homely vibrancy of the property coupled with the deliciousness of the food truly make it an experience worth while. A word of advice, check the closing times, you don't want to miss this!

Reviewed January 15, 2016

The hours are short so make sure to check this out prior to going. The food was quite good and is prepared fresh. We had the garlic chicken and vegetables which was extremely tasty. Everything on their menu is seemingly good, depending on your tastes. You cannot get a pot of tea, however, it is poured separately so does not stay warm for long. We enjoyed the ambiance and the food both...a nice lunch

Reviewed October 15, 2015

This Thai restaurant has a number of honest to goodness Thai dishes. The servings are big so careful to not over order.

Reviewed September 8, 2015

Our actual visit was in April 2010, but when someone asked me for the name of "that great Thai place in Portland," I realized I hadn't written a review and needed to remedy that! Here's the deal... I would go there at least once a month if I lived in Portland. The food was amazing! The owners run this little place out of a house; she is Thai and cooks and he does everything else. They have an unusual "heat" index -- instead of 1 to 4 stars, they use 20 as the high and even if you tell them you always get 4 stars at your local joint, if you haven't been there before, they won't let you go above 2 on their scale. The food was amazing and I don't remember the prices, but they didn't seem out of the ordinary.

Reviewed August 6, 2015

During a recent family trip to Portland (first time to Portland), we visited Lemongrass based on a recommendation from our tour book. Located in an older house, we were not sure what to expect. What we found was quite amazing.

Lemongrass is a family run business and in my experience serves very authentic Thai food. The food was great and, while we are not from Portland, I have to imagine it is one of the best choices for Thai food in the city. While I agree that Dave (the waiter) is no nonsense, I found him to be helpful and his wife was wonderful - particularly with the kids. Please take their heat/spice scale seriously (Level 1 through 10). I ordered at Level "3" and, as I was warned, have rarely encountered as much spicy goodness. Please note that I really like spicy food. The cook actually came out to check on who might be daring enough to try a Level "3". However, they also were able to make dishes with absolutely no spice for the kids. You just have to tell them what you are looking for.

We enjoyed Lemongrass so much that the family insisted on going back for our last dinner in Portland. That is pretty unusual for us while traveling. I have to admit that I went level 2 on our second visit.

I thought that the prices were very reasonable. We ended up paying less than $100 for a family of four including tip and with adult beverages. Please remember that Lemongrass only takes cash. We certainly will go back next time we are in Portland. I suspect that it will be our first meal.

1  Thank LonghornFrank