“Best Thai I've had...”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2015

Our actual visit was in April 2010, but when someone asked me for the name of "that great Thai place in Portland," I realized I hadn't written a review and needed to remedy that! Here's the deal... I would go there at least once a month if I lived in Portland. The food was amazing! The owners run this little place out of a house; she is Thai and cooks and he does everything else. They have an unusual "heat" index -- instead of 1 to 4 stars, they use 20 as the high and even if you tell them you always get 4 stars at your local joint, if you haven't been there before, they won't let you go above 2 on their scale. The food was amazing and I don't remember the prices, but they didn't seem out of the ordinary.

Reviewed August 6, 2015

During a recent family trip to Portland (first time to Portland), we visited Lemongrass based on a recommendation from our tour book. Located in an older house, we were not sure what to expect. What we found was quite amazing.

Lemongrass is a family run business and in my experience serves very authentic Thai food. The food was great and, while we are not from Portland, I have to imagine it is one of the best choices for Thai food in the city. While I agree that Dave (the waiter) is no nonsense, I found him to be helpful and his wife was wonderful - particularly with the kids. Please take their heat/spice scale seriously (Level 1 through 10). I ordered at Level "3" and, as I was warned, have rarely encountered as much spicy goodness. Please note that I really like spicy food. The cook actually came out to check on who might be daring enough to try a Level "3". However, they also were able to make dishes with absolutely no spice for the kids. You just have to tell them what you are looking for.

We enjoyed Lemongrass so much that the family insisted on going back for our last dinner in Portland. That is pretty unusual for us while traveling. I have to admit that I went level 2 on our second visit.

I thought that the prices were very reasonable. We ended up paying less than $100 for a family of four including tip and with adult beverages. Please remember that Lemongrass only takes cash. We certainly will go back next time we are in Portland. I suspect that it will be our first meal.

1  Thank LonghornFrank
Reviewed August 6, 2015

The food is five stars, but please ignore the surly waiter - one star deduction (the food is worth it).

The prices are higher than your average Thai restaurant in Portland but it's really the best Thai around (unanimous for my family - husband and two teens). We love spicy food and do be warned, they have an unusual spice rating, 0 to 10 but you can't order more than a 5 on your first visit. This is most definitely the Spiciest Thai in Portland. For newbies, 1 is definitely a great heat. The portions are generous. Our family favorites are the Curry Peanut Sauce with Chicken and the Green Curry with Chicken.

This restaurant is located inside a quaint little corner house, in a neighborhood. As you enter, you can see the wife cooking back in the kitchen while the husband (also known as the surly waiter) mans the front. I'm sure he drives away business, so be prepared, expect it and ignore his attitude - he's actually starting to grow on me!

FYI - They are cash only but there is an ATM on site.

Reviewed May 4, 2015

You should NOT be able to taste that prawns were previously frozen. If they weren't, then I guess they were simply gross. Not nearly enough vegetables in any of their dishes, either, and the ones present are overcooked and flavorless. I had Pad Thai, basically, and it had next to no veggies in it. Plus they have this smug, ridiculous heat scale (1-10, with 1 being hot for most people). And what can I say about the guy serving the tables? That guy is just butt. A real smart-mouth with an attitude problem, and in no way a good waiter. Finally, WA-HAY-HAAAAY too high of price for what is really boring Thai, especially when you can get super good Thai food almost anywhere in Portland for half the price.

2  Thank OregonJayBird
Reviewed February 11, 2015

I went to this restaurant during my stay in Portland. The food was incredibly authentic and super fresh. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you enjoy authentic and tasty food. It is a very familial restaurant and the service is amazing. I can't stop repeating, if you are in Portland this restaurant is no to be missed!