“Delicious- great service”
Review of Saucebox

Saucebox
Reserve with OpenTable
Saucebox is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #446 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: SW Pine
Description: Established in 1995, Saucebox has maintained its reputation in the city as the place for the finest Pan-Asian and Pacific Island cuisine. The menu pulls from a wealth of bold and authentic flavors. Fruit infusions, elixirs and our notable "liquor laboratory" are also specialties of the house.
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Just ate at the restaurant last night with my husband and 14 year old daughter. Food was great- menu very inventive. The sushi was fresh and delicious. Loved the sweet potato spring rolls. Daughter and I had the Korean ribs which were delicious. Husband enjoyed the clams- fresh and tasty. Cocktail menu very inspired. Great wine selection. Best thing about the whole evening was the service. Our server was wonderful- offered great recommendations, was attentive but not overbearing. A lovely evening for sure.

BluehourPortland, Owner at Saucebox, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

We're so happy you and your family enjoyed a great dinner with us! It's always great to hear when our team does a wonderful job for our guests. From the potato springs rolls to the Korean ribs, I'm thrilled that everyone loved their dishes. Thanks so much for the kind words, we'll be sure to pass them along.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Went here by chance when visiting Portland and what a great find. The restaurant was busy and we needed a table for two plus our baby. It seemed like it was going to be a problem but we were seated rather quickly. The waiter was great, he was probably one of the best waiters I have ever had, I told the manager that upon leaving. The food was perfect, everything we ordered was better than expected. Drinks never stayed empty good selections of beer. I would say one of the better restaurants I have eaten at and I've eaten at a lot.

BluehourPortland, Owner at Saucebox, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

It's never a problem for us to accommodate a family at Saucebox. We're thrilled that you and your family had a great night out with us, Ryan. It's so great to hear that your server was really able to knock it out of the park for you. Happy that you enjoyed your meal. We can't wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is a great place to go for happy hour. We walked in early, about 4:15 and there were plenty of seats available. We were able to get one right by the window for some great people-watching. Happy hour prices start at just $1 for some appetizers. For $5 you can get a decent-sized dish. Cocktails are creative and yummy! Not too far from the Benson Hotel in downtown Portland if you happen to be staying there. Easily within walking distance.

BluehourPortland, Owner at Saucebox, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

So glad you stopped by! We're thrilled to hear you're a fan of our specialty cocktails and great Happy Hour menu. The window seats are always great for fun people watching, and I'm very glad you enjoyed your evening with us. Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know how we're doing. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

I had made reservations for 12 people at Saucebox, and our group arrived on time. I ordered one roll of sushi (8 pieces) but was not full when I finished it, so I asked to order more food. The waiter replied, "We are too busy and the kitchen is backed up, you will have to order later," and he walked away. I left hungry and wanting more, however, the sushi that I did receive was very good and the overall service was good. I have never been denied food before at any restaurant I have eaten at.

1  Thank Gina W
BluehourPortland, Owner at Saucebox, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

It's very surprising to read your review, Gina. We want each and every one of our guest to leave feeling fully satisfied, and I apologize this wasn't the case for you. While your server could have been very busy, I'm shocked that they would discourage you from ordering more food outright. I'd love to get to the bottom of this, and will be sure to follow up with the team about your feedback.

Thanks so much for letting us know about this. We appreciate your notes and hope you'll give us a second chance at wowing you.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

My husband and I recently visited Portland and received advice from a friend to visit here during their Happy Hour. I am SO glad we took that advice! We showed up on a Friday afternoon around 4:45 which was perfect since we got there just before the crowed arrived. We were quickly seated and immediately got started on some drinks. The service declined a bit once the restaurant got crowded but we didn't mind too much, we were on vacation so we weren't in a rush to get in and get out.

I highly recommend the pad thai, delicious! We also split the spicy wings (REALLY spicy) and brussels sprouts. Everything was amazing (and cheap!)

I would be here every week if I lived in Portland.

BluehourPortland, Owner at Saucebox, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

The best happy hour you've ever been to? Now that's a compliment! Thanks for making us a part of your time in Portland, but we apologize if you felt neglected once we got a bit busier. That's not what we want, so I'll discuss that with our team. That aside, it's so nice to hear that you loved our dishes, and we hope to welcome you back for more next time you're in town! Til then, thanks for the great review!

Cheers,
Owner

Been to Saucebox? Share your experiences!