“Good Food Good Vibe”
Review of Saucebox

Saucebox
Reserve with OpenTable
Saucebox is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #425 of 4,341 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: SW Pine
Description: Established in 1995, Saucebox has maintained its reputation in the city as the place for the finest Pan-Asian and Pacific Island cuisine. The menu pulls from a wealth of bold and authentic flavors. Fruit infusions, elixirs and our notable "liquor laboratory" are also specialties of the house.
Albany, Oregon
“Good Food Good Vibe”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We spent the weekend in Portland and had dinner at Saucebox Saturday night. We had no trouble getting a table as walk ins. The service we friendly and good. The food was tasty. The atmosphere is likely big draw for those who go. Why do restaurants in Portland have their music turned up so loud? (Dose this mean I'm getting old?!)

Visited March 2014
BluehourPortland, Owner at Saucebox, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Glad you had a nice time with us, Paul. I'm sorry if the music was too loud for your taste, though. (For the record, I don't think it means you're getting old. Your earbuds are probably just getting wiser.) Anyway, the next time you're in Portland, you know where to find us!

Margate, United Kingdom
“Great meal and ambiance”
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited this restaurant in March and had a wonderful evening. The service was great, the wine was great and the food absolutely wonderful. I would recommend this restaurant to both the young and more mature cliental who like a lively but cool atmosphere . We will be going back.

BluehourPortland, Owner at Saucebox, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thanks for the review, Bernie. I'm glad you and your wife had an excellent experience with us—that's what we hope to hear. Looking forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in Portland!

Portland, Oregon
“It's right up there.”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

For an early date night, wife and I decided to try it out. We're not big fans of downtown Portland, but wonder of wonders! A parking spot opened up just around the corner, and we were in!
This wasn't going to be a full-on dinner. A couple drinks and some happy hour food. Oh, my goodness.
The miso soup is incredible, the pork sarong not for the faint! Absolutely delicious.
The drinks were above average- not great, but not awful, either.
What was outstanding was the service. Our server was a pleasant young woman with the right touch- right there when we needed something but not constantly hovering. She knew how to do it. She filled the water glasses unobtrusively and didn't have to interrupt our conversation to remove the plates (you know, the unnecessary "Let me get that out of your way"). Two thumbs up for the way we were served.
Interesting side note: The washroom. What? Yeah, the washroom. Men's and women's toilet facilities are separate, of course, but the wash basin is outside the entrance and is used by both. THAT'S different! Unisex lav. Yeah, just try to avoid looking at the other person when washing your hands! Good for meeting new friends, I suppose.
Great atmosphere, great service, great food, meh? on the drinks. For 30 bucks? It was a great choice. Have fun.

• Visited December 2013
BluehourPortland, Owner at Saucebox, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Happy to hear you and your wife had a nice evening with us! Thanks for checking us out and taking the time to share your experience. Hope to welcome you back soon!

Flagstaff, Arizona
“Amazing box of sauce!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was the first restaurant we tried on our trip to Portland. Great ambience, delicious cocktails and an excellent variety of dishes made this one of our favorite local spots we enjoyed while on our visit. We tried the pad thai, a set if sushi rolls and the potstickers, all of which were delicious.

Visited October 2013
BluehourPortland, Owner at Saucebox, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thanks for checking us out, Trevor. Given the fact that we're in a city packed with amazing restaurants, it's really great to hear we stood out as one of your favorite local spots. The next time you visit Portland, you know where to find us!

Washington State
“AMAZING drinks and excellent food!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We were invited here for a private party. I had checked out the drink menu in advance and was anxious to try some of their unique mixtures. First up was the Jade Scorpion. How could I resist Thai-chili vodka, ginger vodka and ginger brew? They infuse their own vodka, which provides strong flavors. It was excellent: initially hot, with a soothing aftertaste.

Next was the Kickboxer. It also had Thai chili vodka, but with refreshing fruit juices. It was even better than the Jade Scorpion. The fruit juices provided a sweet, cooling balance to the chili heat. My wife liked it so much, she had two of them. The third one that I tried was the tequila-based Diablo. At first, I was concerned that the cassis was too sweet, but after three sips I changed my mind. I hit the trifecta of beverage excellence.

While all this drinking and talking was going on, appetizers were being served. Our hosts made the food selections and there were too many dishes to remember, but I recall sampling edamame, crispy Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, Vietnamese salad rolls, sushi and sashimi. The food was incredible and well presented.

We will definitely come back and try more drinks while enjoying a delicious meal.

• Visited October 2013
BluehourPortland, Owner at Saucebox, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
"I hit the trifecta of beverage excellence"—that's a quote for the ages. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your party, and I look forward to welcoming you and your wife back next time. You'll have to let me know what you think of our other cocktails!