“The ultimate Portland hipster experience with great desserts”

Rimsky-Korsakoffee House
Ranked #41 of 127 Dessert in Portland
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 1, 2014

If you're looking for a different experience but still want a good dessert or coffee, this is the place to go. It's a hipster hotspot for sure. Your experience might be a little inconsistent as a result. We had great service and great desserts when we went. The live piano music was great. Make **sure** you make a visit to the restroom, whether you need to or not.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We visited Rimsky's at the recommendation of a friend and found the entire experience strange. First, it is very difficult to find. No sign, nothing to indicate it was anything but a dark, run- down old house. We arrived a bit after 7:00 on a week night and found one other couple on the porch, rattling the door. As we were about to leave, the door was opened by a young man who looked as though he just woke up. The sign said to take a menu and seat ourselves. The interior was dark, in spite of the bright summer day. We waited for about 15 minutes for a server, and eventually the young man came back. My friend and I each ordered an ice cream sundae and coffee. I ordered mine without whipped cream, but it arrived (about 20 minutes later, in spite of there only being 4 patrons in the place) with whipped cream. Although we were there for about an hour, only a couple other people came in. Some time after 8:00, another young man came out of the back, looking disoriented, and as though he too just woke up. He turned out to be the live entertainment. He sat down at the piano, and cacophony ensued. I have heard improvisation, but this was just discordant, creepy noise. As to the food, my sundae was small, average in quality, and inferior to,say, Baskin Robbins. My friend said his sundae was average and he liked the coffee. I suppose we were there too early, and some might call the place quirky. Maybe we should give it another chance, another day.

1  Thank ddbastian
Reviewed November 3, 2013

So, first of all, an admission: I don't like coffee. Please put the knives away, it just means more for the rest of you, after all. But I do like Rimsky's: their tea, hot chocolate, and other beverages are quite good, and their desserts are great. I wouldn't say they're the best I've ever had anywhere, but they're really, really good.

So if the drinks are good, and their desserts are great but not the best I've had, then why is Rimsky's my favorite coffee shop in the country? Well… honestly? That would be telling. You just have to go and find out for yourself. But you absolutely should.

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Great date night out! Relaxing live guitar music, fun quirkyness, and good desserts. Highly recommended for an off the beaten path calmer nightlife

Reviewed March 6, 2013

A nice place to meet a few friends. The live music, delicious desserts, and fun atmosphere makes this one of a kind. Don't miss it - there's no indication it's anything other than an old house along SE 12th except for the neon "open" sign in the window. And don't expect fast food - either in taste or time. If you're looking for a leisurely place to chat with friends and don't mind being a bit crowded or noise when it's busy, I highly recommend this.

1  Thank cybergrrl