“Almost Too German!”

Rheinlander
Cuisines: Austrian, German, Swiss
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Rheinlander is a unique Portland tradition in festive dining. Whether you're celebrating a special occasion, a night out with the family or a group outing, the Rheinlander is a truly fun and entertaining experience. Prost!
Reviewed April 14, 2013

If you like the Rhinelander, Gustav's is another less expensive restaurant owned by the same guy, Horst Meager of the Cordon Blue school fame. It was the same menu of German food at a lower price.Try the chicken or lamb! This location has live music and almost too German! Good though!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I brought a rather large group to celebrate my parents anniversary. When I arrived, I asked to show some music to the accordian player to see if he could play it. He not only tried to practice it, but asked to hear it on my iPod. He was determined to get it right for my parents. Then (he did beautifully, and my parents cried) he kept thanking ME for my patience!! He also sang another of my dad's favorite songs and brought the whole crew in for an anniversary song. On top of that, we had two kinders that the waitstaff were incredibly patient with. The food was perfect, soooo yummy with that German home cooked flavor. At one point I asked to use the bathroom (the place is a bit like a maze if you don't come often) and I was escorted by a manager. The kids and the family loved the loud singing. It was a cultural, fun, family atmosphere, and I will be back soon.

Something to know is that they take reservations for large parties, but you all have to be there at the time of the reservation to guarantee sitting together. Another option is preordering family style.

The only slight drawback (not enough to lose a star, just because everything else was so stellar) was our waitress. Before she knew she was serving our table, she saw my mom in the bathroom, where my mom smiled and said hi. She totally ignored her. Then she came back again because she left something. My mom spoke again, and this time Tonya, the waitress, looked at her like she was crazy and walked out. She also wasn't the best waitress in the world, although she was really sweet to my son. Can't deny a star to someone who is nice to your kids.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I enjoy the authentic atmosphere here. The food is wonderful. The fondue is our favorite treat here!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Rheinlander has so many special memories for me. It was the special place to visit for an anniversary or when my German Grandmother visited. Thanks for the memories!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Portland's Rheinlander restaurant, located on Sandy Boulevard, has been a wildly popular restaurant for many generations. After being seated by a costumed waiter, you will be pleased to gaze about the restaurant at the pleasing German ambience, and listen as a roving accordian player sings for the customers. You might even be treated to the voice of a young lady singing opera!

The menu is expansive, and the food is terrific! Enjoy authentic German beer in steins and sing along!

If you are visiting Portland don't miss this one! Make a reservation.....the Rheinlander is not a secret to Portlanders!