“Loved every bite”
Review of Bluehour

Bluehour
Reserve with OpenTable
Bluehour is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #337 of 4,587 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Everett
Transit: Bluehour is located three blocks west of the NW 10th and Everett stop of the Portland Street Car.
Description: Bluehour means different things to different people. In French literature it describes any time of day "of heightened emotion." In Portland it has come to mean "a great place to dine." As the premier modern restaurant in the Pearl District, Bluehour opened its doors in 2000, with what Gourmet Magazine describes as, "the most sophisticated, contemporary food in town." Guests choose between the elegant dining room or the casual cafe and bar. Simple, delicious and classic describes the Mediterranean cuisine we create in the Bluehour kitchen each night. The menu is printed daily, but Bluehour standards remain, like the pillowy potato gnocchi with black truffle and the perfectly seared, bacon wrapped sea scallops.
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The food was impeccable. Absolutely delicious. The service, from the maitre d' to the waitress to the servers was warm, friendly and helpful. When we arrived, there were no seats in the bar. the maitre d' found us a place to sit, and our waitress eventually helped us scope out seats from a group that was leaving.

The gourmet cocktails were yummy as well. We tried several and loved them all. We had the pumpkin tortellini, beet salad, two lamb sliders (so juicy) and sausage gnocchi.

Loved every bite.

Bluehour is not Spaghetti Garden or Western Sizzler. You go to Bluehour for delicious, artisanal, fresh food. And you should expect to pay for it. Good food like this doesn't come in massive, heaping portions. It comes in portions large enough to enjoy the flavor without gorging yourself into a food coma.

This place is fantastic for what it is - good, fresh, well prepared food.

BluehourPortland, Owner at Bluehour, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Your compliments put a smile on our faces, WAMcCary. It's a delight to hear such thoughtful comments—they make us love what we do even more! We are big believers of refined service and fresh, high quality food, and I'm so glad we were able to show you a good time. I'll be sure to pass your appreciation to our kitchen, bar, and wait staff. We look forward to seeing more of you in the future!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The staff was friendly and not snooty. Great atmosphere, good food and creative ingredients. Cool location too!

BluehourPortland, Owner at Bluehour, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

I'm pleased we could show you a good time. Thanks for checking us out and sharing your experience. I look forward to seeing more of you in the future!

Cheers,

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We ate at BlueHour with a group of 6 on a Friday night. The food was good BUT we were seated at 7 pm and our entrees were served at 9:45! We waited almost 2 hours between our salads and the entree. During that time, our server came by once to say that there was a "back up in the kitchen" and she was sorry. I had to get up at 9:30 to track someone down to ask for another piece of bread, since they serve individual pieces of bread to each person and we had eaten ours what seemed like hours earlier. After we ate our meals, they brought a couple of free desserts to the table but that was it. We would have much preferred to have had our dinners at a reasonable time to having dessert when we wanted to leave!

BluehourPortland, Owner at Bluehour, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

I apologize for the late response—I still want to make sure you know that I appreciate your feedback. I'm terribly sorry about your experience. We pride ourselves on our good food and impeccable service, and it's humbling to hear that we can always do better. We were experiencing problems in our kitchen during your visit, and we've since made it a priority to ensure that it never happens again. Again, please accept my apologies. I hope you'll come back again for another try—we'll be putting out our best efforts!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Expensive but generally worth the price. We shared the mushroom soup, ravioli appetizer and the beet salad, all were very good. My wife had the Rockfish special which was very good and I had the short ribs which were good but not outstanding. The service was excellent although in a nice restaurant you generally don't see the wait staff rushing by your table like the place is on fire; a more controlled, relaxed pace is more comfortable for the customer. We probably will return next time we visit Portland.

Dear tahoetraveler2369—Thank you for your kind words. We care a great deal about customer satisfaction, so it's nice to hear that you enjoyed eating with us. I appreciate your feedback on our service pace, and will be checking in with my team to make sure our customers are relaxed and well taken care of when they dine with us. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Portland.

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Once again (this is the third time) I dined at BlueHour and once again they did not honor my reservation or provide the 1000 points by making my reservation on OpenTable.

I arrived at 5 minutes prior to my reservation of 6:00 and they allowed us to sit on the bar since no one else was in the dining room and the bar was quite lively with nice seating. This is often the case, the bar is busy but their dining room is nearly empty.

I got an email stating that my reservation had been cancelled so I simply walked back up to the hostess and she got their manager. The manager stated, "oh yeah, I recognize your name and sorry...I will take care of that"...which obviously he did not since I did not receive my points and it shows my reservation was cancelled.

The servers all seem to want to be somewhere else, their food portions are INCREDIBLY SMALL and their prices are ridiculously expensive. And the food was greasy and bland!!

Save your time and money, visit another establishment...especially since you are NOT receiving your OpenTable reservation points anyway!!

1  Thank OregonDelight