“Great Experience”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between SW Oak & SW Stark Streets
Description: Named as "the definitive steakhouse in the country," El Gaucho Portland's award-winning menu features 28-Day Dry-Aged Niman Ranch All-Natural Certified Angus Beef(R) Brand Prime steaks and custom aged Certified Angus Beef(R) brand tenderloin filets, ribs, pork, poultry and the freshest seafood, all prepared to perfection over an open bed of glowing coals in an exhibition-style kitchen. Our extensive wine list is award-winning, and happy hour menu is widely recognized as one of Portland's best. Live music is offered nightly. El Gaucho is the Northwest's steakhouse legacy focused on old-school, tableside service. We revel in helping guests create a night to remember.
Reviewed September 24, 2017

This was a delightful surprise finding. I had not read a review before going, and did not have any expectations. It is really underwhelming on the outside. But, on the inside, it is a different story. Very upscale!
My husband and I sat at the bar to listen to the live music, and have drinks. A couple of guys were playing guitars which was entertaining. We ended up having appetizers. Absolutely delicious! I had the tenderloin tips in a spicy sauce (Diablo). My husband had shrimp which was also excellent.
And, the bartender was outstanding. Very attentive without being intrusive.

Reviewed September 19, 2017 via mobile

Great reviews, online and all over town. We planned El Gaucho as the grand finale of a 10 day trip. Nice people, nice enough atmosphere. NOW, the bread was cold, hard and inedible. Drinks and soup ok. While we ordered the server, doing his best to help us to answer correctly, went on about how their temperatures run quite cold and a medium is a cold red center. We ordered accordingly, when he brought the potato out, he had to throw it out, it was burnt and hard inside. Steaks came out, burnt and hard inside. They offered to make more, but after all that over effort to make us order them that way, and the extensive time it would take to start over, we were just too frustrated. So, no steaks, and still walked out with a bill over $150. LUNACY! It's one thing to make a little mistake, but to ruin the meal on a special occasion and then still expect a payment like that, AND we had still to go elsewhere for dinner. One of the biggest dining disappointments of our lives. We felt stolen from, and cheated out of a more than promised experience.

Reviewed September 13, 2017

We went here on my birthday and it was a great experience. My husband and I ordered the Tableside Chateaubriand (shared meal) and it was amazing. We ordered it cooked medium but it came out medium rare. We requested it to be cooked a little longer but I was dreading that it would come back charred. It came back perfect. There were still a few pieces on the rarer side but my husband loved those. Everything else was fantastic. We even got a glass of champagne for my birthday! Or it might have been for the mistake. Either way, great service and the mix up was fixed immediately. Hefty bill at the end of the night but worth it (we did buy a bottle of wine too).

Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

Can't think of a better place to watch Sunday (or Monday) night football savoring your favorite stooge, watching the game on a big screen TV. It's not expensive either. $8.00 Evan Williams house bourbon served in a glass with a BIG round ice cube!

Reviewed August 26, 2017 via mobile

If you want the very best steak (not just good, but the best) this is the place to go.

The service size is not big - that's not their aim. But the food is rich and delicious!

Keep this place for a special celebration or a fancy treat because the bill gets up to $80 per person (being conservative).

The staff are true professionals. They prepare the salads table side and have among the best customer service I've come across.

Is it worth it? 100% worth it..

Been to El Gaucho? Share your experiences!