“Excellent Steak and dessert.”
Review of El Gaucho

El Gaucho
Reserve with OpenTable
El Gaucho is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 4,364 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between SW Oak & SW Stark Streets
Description: Named as "the definitive steakhouse in the country," El Gaucho Portland's award-winning menu features 28-Day Dry-Aged Niman Ranch All-Natural Certified Angus Beef(R) Brand Prime steaks and custom aged Certified Angus Beef(R) brand tenderloin filets, ribs, pork, poultry and the freshest seafood, all prepared to perfection over an open bed of glowing coals in an exhibition-style kitchen. Our extensive wine list is award-winning, and happy hour menu is widely recognized as one of Portland's best. Live music is offered nightly. El Gaucho is the Northwest's steakhouse legacy focused on old-school, tableside service. We revel in helping guests create a night to remember.
Reviewed December 6, 2007

Excellent Steak and dessert.

There are newer reviews for El Gaucho

Reviewed December 4, 2007

Expensive, but AMAZING food! The steaks are literally melt in your mouth delicious!

Reviewed November 23, 2007

Good atmosphere and good steakhouse style food. A little spendy for what it really is (a steakhouse chain), but you won't leave disappointed.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 22, 2007

This place is indescribable. The atmosphere alone is an aphrodisiac. Best food you've ever had and amazing sophisticated atmosphere. $$$ but worth it.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 24, 2007

I wanted to have lunch at El Gaucho after the restaurant was highly recommended by a local I met at another restaurant the prior night. Much to my disappointment, they are only open for dinner. Well, this made go towards the river front for some seafood.

Dinner time and I was so excited to finally try the restaurant. At first, looking at the menu, I wanted to try everything. I almost made the mistake of not trying their steak and just ordering a bunch of appetizer until the server persuaded me to try their famous steak.

After going through the menu and questions answered by the server, I decided to go for the scallop appetizer and the bone in rib eye as the main entree.

The scallops came 3 large juice pieces served on an elongated appetizer plate. The scallops were lightly seared served with a nice light sauce over the plate. Bite after bite was heavenly. The scallops were so juicy and cooked perfectly. It was so fresh and not fishy at all. I was so excited to taste the steak after enjoying the appetizer. I figured if the scallops were as heavenly as they are, the steaks should be something of the same caliber.

My rib eye came with just a perfect little bone in. I sliced in and the first bite was like biting into almost as tender as marshmallow. The aged beef, which they are known for, were so tender and tasty. You do not taste the salt or just the seasonings, but you taste the beef. The fine cut of beef.

After the steak, the server came with 2 platters on her hands. A platter filled with cheese, dates, grapes and a second platter filled with orange, pear, apple and nuts. With a smile, she said this is a compliment from the chef. She continued to give me a dessert menu. I was not going to have any, but everything on the menu was so appetizing that I had to try at least one.

Here is the problem. My top two choices had minimum servings for two. Well, it is nice to know that my third choice did not need my imaginary friend to have to consume the dessert with me. I chose to have their Crème Brule, another piece of heaven.

I have to say that I am so spoiled by El Gaucho. Food will never be the same to me. This establishment is a perfect reflection of what fine dining should be. $50 for a stake is a bargain especially with the quality of meat you get and the complimentary cheese, fruits and nuts platters that comes with it.

You have to try it once and you will be hooked for life. They have locations in Portland, Tacoma and Seattle. I am looking forward to visiting them when I in Portland in October.

1  Thank JerryLG

Been to El Gaucho? Share your experiences!