“Good, but nothing exceptional” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Gaucho

El Gaucho
Reserve with OpenTable
El Gaucho is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #126 of 4,238 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between SW Oak & SW Stark Streets
Description: Named as "the definitive steakhouse in the country," El Gaucho Portland's award-winning menu features 28-Day Dry-Aged Niman Ranch All-Natural Certified Angus Beef(R) Brand Prime steaks and custom aged Certified Angus Beef(R) brand tenderloin filets, ribs, pork, poultry and the freshest seafood, all prepared to perfection over an open bed of glowing coals in an exhibition-style kitchen. Our extensive wine list is award-winning, and happy hour menu is widely recognized as one of Portland's best. Live music is offered nightly. El Gaucho is the Northwest's steakhouse legacy focused on old-school, tableside service. We revel in helping guests create a night to remember.
Portland
“Good, but nothing exceptional”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our dining experience was good, but nothing exceptional as I would expect from a restaurant at this price level. You get a much better experience at Morton's for the same price point. The food, service, and details covered are all much better at Morton's. At the end of the meal at El Gaucho, they bring out a complimentary fruit & cheese bowl. The fruit bowl is really ridiculous. It is a large bowl full of unpeeled, unsliced fruit. There was a whole apple, whole orange, whole pear, etc. It would be kind of messy to start peeling a whole orange & eat it. That was just silly. I don't think anyone would actually eat anything out of that bowl. They probably just serve the same bowl to every table all night long. I don't remember what kind of cheese was on the plate, but it was the most awful cheese you have ever tasted, and that is a complete understatement. There are no words to describe this cheese. Other than that, the rest of our food was fine, but just nothing exceptional. If you want a fine dining experience, I would skip El Gaucho & go to Morton's where every single thing is perfect.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sier
El Gaucho S, General Manager at El Gaucho, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Sier,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I’m glad that you enjoyed your experience.

I want you to know that we do offer a fresh fruit and cheese tray to each table. It is something that we have been doing since El Gaucho’s inception. The cheese that we use is Papillon Roquefort, which is a true French blue cheese. I agree that it is not for everyone, but those who do like Roquefort, love it!

I would like the opportunity to speak with you about what we could have done better regarding your visit at El Gaucho. I know that you said that it was “good but not exceptional” and exceptional is our goal. I welcome your input in order to make sure that every guest is receiving the exceptional experience that they deserve from El Gaucho.

You may reach me at 503.227.8794 or jhooberman@elgaucho.com.

John Hooberman
El Gaucho Portland
503.227.8794

Ridgefield, Washington
“Poor service and mediocre food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Was looking forward to an elaborate birthday splurge with steak and lobster ordered. The Caesar salad mixed at table side was excellent, but the steaks were not done to order; overcooked and the lobster tail was extremely dry and overcooked. Waiter was unconcerned, so asked to talk to manager, but he was not in attendance. Called the next day, talked to manager and was given a $100 gift certificate for a dinner that cost over $600. Never again!

Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I appreciate all feedback, as it helps us improve and continue to move our restaurant forward, and I am very sorry to hear that your visit wasn’t up to expectations.

Obviously, the steaks and lobster weren’t cooked to your liking and we should have taken care of it right then and there. I apologize that we appeared cavalier and weren’t able to rectify the problem on the spot.

I have followed up with my management team as well as our serving staff to make sure that we are giving our guests the experience that they deserve. We have a legacy of providing unparalleled service and it is unfortunate that you were not the recipient of something that should be standard at El Gaucho.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about this further. You may reach me at jhooberman@elgaucho.com or 503.227.8794

John Hooberman
El Gaucho Portland
Lake Oswego. Oregon
“Spendy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Spendy but Good! El Gaucho does a great steak and has great music in the bar! Make reservations in advance. The staff is GREAT but the kitchen can be a little slow. Plan on staying about 2 hours+ The live music is so soothing and relaxing!! Fun spot, valet parking! GREAT toothpicks and mints!!

Visited September 2012
Portland, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Expensive, but unbelievable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Simply phenomenal food and experience, from the very professional wait staff to the food and atmosphere. The Steak Tartare was world-class, and who would have thought that hash browns could be so good? The server even brought a free glass of wine when we asked about a particular winery, which is very rare in my experience.

Very expensive (more like NYC prices than Portland), but nonetheless gerat.

• Visited January 2013
Portland, Oregon
“New Years Eve”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have been dining here for 10+ years. The food is great (best steak in Portland). Service is always friendly, attentative, and professional. Highly recommend.

Visited December 2012

Been to El Gaucho? Share your experiences!