“Great bistro in Laurelhurst”
Review of Tabla - CLOSED

Tabla
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Davis
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Great spot in the Laurelhurst neighborhood for an elegant bistro-style Italian dinner. We started with a couple of choices from the charcuterie list and one wonderful cheese from the cheese board. We followed that with a fabulous heirloom tomato salad and two delicious pasta dishes featuring Tabla's homemade pastas. Along side we enjoyed an excellent Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley (although there were also many tempting Italian choices!). Our waiter was attentive and answered our questions about the wine and menu. The atmosphere was sophisticated and well-appointed yet very comfortable.

1  Thank Vinojam

Reviewed May 5, 2014

A friend took me out as I was visiting from out of town. I was underwhelmed. Although they offered gluten free options for the noodle dishes, they only had one kind: Penne noodle, which was very disappointing. Service was ok, not very engaging, not even a smile when we received the food or able to recommend dishes very well. The only advice for the wine selection was pointing to the most expensive wine by the glass and say "it's my favorite". The dish was a boring penne noodle, with a couple of asparagus and small pieces of chicken which were as ordinary as any dish. I won't be back.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Wow--very impressed. The crew were so much fun, and talented. Thanks to all of you for the entertaining and tasty meal. We came here because of Portland Dining month and boy did we enjoy it.

Sat at the counter and watched them hand make the pasta--doesn't get any fresher than that!
Then we watched our dishes being prepared. Couldn't wait to taste them--it was all SO GOOD.

I say, just go. Fun drinks from the bar and a real bargain on the carafe wine.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I don't think we will go back. I didn't enjoy any of my dishes. The duck was dry. The crab tortellini had zero sauce which made it dry, too. The fig salad was weird. Both my husband and. Felt sick all evening fare eating dinner at Tabla.

We do like the atmosphere but there are just too many good restaurants - get my drift?

Good note-the salted caramel gelato was fantastic!

1  Thank BarefootBuddies
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Tabla is a great find. Small and quaint with a open kitchen preparing homemade pasta in front of you. The three course price fix for around $30 is amazing and what earned the five stars. The pastas are great, along with the appetizers. All small portions but high quality. The homemade gelato was great, caramel salted ice gelato, so good. The service was good and had a friendly vibe.