“Good Food, Filthy Restaurant” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian, Delicatessen
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Lake Oswego
“Good Food, Filthy Restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

When I walked into this casual restaurant today with my boss's boss, we were greeted by an obviously toothless man with ample fresh sweat stains on the front and sides of his grubby t-shirt. He complained he was dying from the humidity. He wiped the sweat off his forehead. He was friendly, and welcomed us inside and told us the food was fabulous. I asked him what he would recommend and he suggested we talk with the owner, who told us about all the homemade items. She was also friendly. The guy was chatty and smiled a lot.

The only reason I didn't run away was because of all the good reviews online. I tried not to look at the filthy, stained carpet, the strings of greasy dust hanging from the ceiling tiles (which were discolored a deep yellowy brown from grease and dirt), and the grubby condiments (which I was unwilling to touch). We both ordered cheese ravioli with meatballs and garlic bread. I scraped crumbs off a table, wiped it off with a napkin, and sat down. The silverware was sticky, and it took awhile for me to find a fork and knife that didn't stick to my hand.

That said, the food was delicious. The sauce, the ravioli, and the meatballs were homemade and the garlic bread was divine. Even the iced tea was homemade (Stash Tea Orange Spice brewed onsite).

Now, would I recommend this restaurant? Nope. I loved the food but would have a hard time managing to eat there again. If it was as filthy as it was in places I could see, I can't imagine what it is like where I can't see. I don't want to know.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Scott City, Kansas
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

My husband and I went out of our way to go to Geraldi's for lunch while recently in town, and it was a disappointing visit. The last time my husband ate there he could not stop raving about the pastrami sandwich and could not wait for me to try it. So, we stopped for lunch and split a cold pastrami... and I didn't even bother finishing my half of the sandwich. The bread was fresh and chewy, just the way it should be, but unfortunately the pastrami was also chewy and utterly flavorless. The fact that there were only two slices on the sandwich was also disappointing, but let's face it... more of their tasteless meat wouldn't have improved the sandwich anyway, it just would have made a better perceived value. The sandwich also came with shredded lettuce tossed in italian dressing and a couple slices of tomato, which added at least a little bit of flavor to an otherwise disappointing lunch. There was also a blob of what tasted like yellow mustard on my half, and it overwhelmed all other flavors from that bite forward.

We won't be visiting again.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“These sandwiches are amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

These sandwiches are amazing!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Love the giant subs and...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2007

Love the giant subs and the owners. Go Red Sox! Chicken Parm is the bomb!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook