“I'd rather baptize a cat!”
Review of Sin Ju

Sin Ju
Ranked #2,138 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Neighborhood: Pearl
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We weren't even suppose to go to this restaurant but it was so cold outside we decided to settle. Big mistake! The only way I could really describe this place is to say they are trying to be cooler than your average sushi house. Stick to the basics people. This place did not have shrimp sauce and clear soup. I get that your in the pearl district of Portland but you need stop acting like your the trendiest place in town. The sushi was very expensive and taste a little above below average. I have eaten sushi all over the US and in Japan, these prices were on par with downtown Tokyo (the most expensive city in the world). Even San Fran prices were less. I was with two other people dining and we all got a little sick. Also the waitress was acting like it was a chore to serve us. Very poor choice if you decide to dine here.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Sinju....just the name alone sounds like a peaceful establishment. The outside decor lures you in and flows just as nicely in the inside. Lets be honest that was just a cover. This restaurant was extremely loud for a restaurant of that size. It didn't help that there was a group of 5 people at the sushi bar that you could hear even with the bathroom door shut. I watched the waiting staff of that party bring over bottles and bottles of wine and hard drinks. I know from experience that that select group should have been cut off a long time ago. The bar and wait staff should have done that a long time ago. Clearly alone from the language coming from that group and their actions.

Enough of the drunken saliors at the sushi bar. My husband and I ordered a few rolls to start and then was going to make our way to the dinner selection. It took them 30 minutes to bring 3 rolls to our table. I was starved at that point and ready to dig in. Until I noticed something black in my roll. It wasn't the seaweed it was the avacado. Really? So I removed the black avacado from my sushi roll and tried a piece. When I took the first bite I really wanted to spit it out. The rice around my roll was way too hot. Sushi rice is not suppose to be hot yuck! I did manage to swallow that bite down but I left the rest. My husband was so hungry at that point he didn't care. We were going to have dinner there but rapidly changed our mind.

Wait staff was nice and hostess was too. Decor was appealing to the senses but when you have a loud party and don't cut them off as I watched them pound drinks makes you think twice. Serving too warm sushi and black avacado in a roll is unacceptable. This restaurant is more of a rock in the Pearl.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

The atmosphere is dressier than most Portland sushi restaurants, and the prices are higher as well. Service is very hit and miss. The fellow at the Bridgeport location (manager or owner?) walks around with an angry scowl, which isn't very inviting. Portions of nigiri sushi are small and the rolls are very Americanized. Fish has been less than fresh more than once.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Good service, Great fresh food! Try the Vegas roll it was great.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Have done a couple birthdays here, and have always enjoyed the sushi, atmosphere, and service.