“Overpriced”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town - Chinatown
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This restaurant was highly recommended by our hotel. The staff described as a cozy, delicious family owned and operated restaurant where the locals went. The food was good but a bit pricey for the portions. If I had to do it again, I would get the bbq shrimp skewers. They were the best item on my plate and a substitution to the lamb kabobs. The neighborhood is a little dicey and if you go in a group you might not feel as vulnerable.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have been going to Alexis for over 25 years and it is one of my favorites. It is owned and run by a family from Greece. The food always tastes fantastic and the service is very hospitable. i often take people who have never been and everyone is always amazed at how delicious the food is. Alexis is a Portland staple that deserves more recogniton.

1  Thank greatfultravelr
Reviewed August 26, 2012

It's nice to go to a restaurant where the staff doesn't hover and you can relax. the food here was delicious, well seasoned and the lamb was fall off the bone tender. We have a great time.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

It had been years since I'd been to Alexis, but we had bought a Groupon and decided to use it on our anniversary. We're both so glad we did! I ordered a dish that sampled five different specialties, and enjoyed every bite! My wife's moussaka was delicious. The avgolemono soup could become adicting! We were surprised when we were presented with a special dessert in honor of our anniversary. Made of phyllo and custard, it was incredible! We topped it all off with a shot of Ouzo. We both enjoyed it so much we're sure we'll return!

1  Thank Don A
Reviewed June 17, 2012

While in Portland, a friend insisted we meet him for dinner at Alexis. Our concierge did not even mention the place so we were a little skeptical about going there but, WOW was the food great. The service was also great and at the end of dinner the owner came over to our table and offered to buy us a round of ouzo. We graciously declined but he insisted he do something so he had the kitchen make us dessert instead. It was a warm filo dough stuffed with a lemon/cheese filling unlike anything I've ever tasted. What a way to end an outstanding meal. Definitely try the Kalamarakia and Lamb Souvlaki and don't forget the Saganaki with a great big Oompah! An inviting, warm atmosphere where food is an experience. Reasonably priced. Four of us ate for under $80! One thing to note, if walking to Alexis, you will likely pass through an area where the street folks hang out. If this makes you uncomfortable, you may want to hail a cab or drive. But don't let that stop you from experiencing this great authentic Greek restaurant.

1  Thank Jane G

Been to Alexis? Share your experiences!