“Reasonable prices, good food”

Nicholas' Restaurant
Ranked #118 of 4,420 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: This is the original Nicholas Restaurant location, serving authentic Lebanese food since 1986.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Nicholas' is a favorite place for my son and his student friends. We went there on a Sunday evening and waited about 15 minutes for a table. The decor not what attracts patrons and it could use a spruce up. A large, hot bubbly Lebanese bread is brought out immediately, right out of the oven. The food is excellent though it takes a while. The orders are plentiful and delicious. I will return on my next Portland visit.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stumbled across this place on a recent trip to Portland looking for a good Middle Eastern meal. It's very small-seats maybe 50-and located in a strip of small shops on a very crowded, high traffic area of SE Grand. The decor is kinda kitchy and the staff, when we were there, was equal parts helpful and brusque, with one server going out of her way to make sure we had drinks, utensils, etc. when our main server (the brusque one) was attending to other things. I wouldn't go here expecting a romantic meal or a modern twist on traditional Middle Eastern cuisine. There's nothing fancy about this place.

That being said, this place far exceeded our expectations because not only did we not go here expecting any of the above, but the food blew us away! The first thing I noticed when I walked in was that every table had naan or possibly a pita the size of an extra large pizza on it and it looked perfect-fluffy, puffy and flat, soft and warm. It could easily be a meal on its own, is served gratis and I have craved that bread ever since! The menu is extensive with options ranging from small plates to large meals, from Lebanese-style pizzas to gyros to mjarda. We could easily visit this place every night for a month and not have tried every combo of dishes. I had a falafel sandwich combo (includes salad and hummus) and my fiance had the gyro sandwich combo. Both were spectacular-perfectly seasoned, clearly made with fresh everything and the pitas were again soft, warm, perfectly puffy and delicious. The hummus was wonderful, the tzatziki so flavorful and we found ourselves eating more than we had room for because it was just so good! The steady stream of to-go customers that came in and out as we ate also spoke volumes about the food at this little place.

The prices are also pretty good. There are lots of Middle Eastern places in town and this place not only rivals them in taste but also cost. This was definitely one of the better meals we had in Portland and that naan/pita thing was just amazing-worth a visit all on its own. The staff may vary based on when you go and the crowd and if you shy from quiet holes in the wall, this is not your place. But if you crave quality, traditional, delicious Middle Eastern food that is plentiful and bargain priced, Nicholas is a solid bet that will delight you.

And added tip: skip the oils that come with the naan/pita thing and order hummus. The oils lack much flavor and though it'll be hard to not devour the bread immediately, the hummus is worth the wait.

1  Thank Melindalou7
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

This was our second experience at thus establishment. Sometimes the first times a charm and it was in this case. The food has the potential for satisfying any discriminating.foodies pleasures but this last visit it was one peg short of divine. After waiting an hour to get a table you hope to be waited on in a manner that a loyal guest deserves. This is a family restaurant but there was no great service. Food could of been hotter and wad served piece meal. Waitress didn't offer desert.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The chicken kebabs were very tasty. The accompanying rice had a very strong flavor and it tastes very good. They serve the Indian style "Naan" (flat bread) which itself serves half of your hunger :). The Humus is good too.

1  Thank ragopu
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Food is good but the service is usually bad. I used to not care too much because Mediterranean food is my absolute favorite, but a few days ago I called in to order food so they could make it in advance, it was 8pm on a week day and they were not busy (I asked)... The answer I got was: we don't take reservations. I said I am not making one. They said they could not place my order in advance because that was like making a reservation and that they were a first come first serve restaurant. I said that that was okay with me, that if when I got there (10 min walk) they were (by some miracle) full... I would either wait or take my food home. They still said NO! I passes by there after I hanged up and they had only 2 tables used! I email them and the answer by the owner was the same!

They are not a flexible restaurant. Also in the past they have said not to things like changing something in a place or whatever.

VERY BLACK & WHITE TYPE MANAGEMENT!
In a city that likes to keep things weird? mmmm...

Not going back there again EVER. Lost a client of 12 years that introduced so many others to your restaurants!!!