“Stale Service and Food” 2 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Pearl
Description: Welcome to Le Bouchon! Our family owned restaurant offers an authentic French dining experience and traditional French cuisine with a country flare.
Seattle,WA
“Stale Service and Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I went to Le Bouchon after reading all the positive reviews. We went on a Saturday night so we expected it to be busy. What we weren't expecting was for there only to be one server for a fine dining restaurant of fifteen tables. We had a reservation and were seated fairly quickly, but it took fifteen minutes to get water and another fifteen for our drinks. Upon ordering I asked for recommendations and was flatly given no answer because the waiter was busy and said we should just order so our food doesn't take too long to prepare. What? We had clams that were average. Radish salad that was boring and right out of a can. French onion soup was good, but when I was finished the waiter cleared my bowl but left the dirty spoon saying I could use it for my entree. Really? Dinner was duck that was overcooked with no sauce and no flavor, and a cassoulet that was one step over franks and beans. Dessert was never offered and frankly we were fine with that because we didn't want waste anymore money. You could tell that the waiter didn't care that customers had a positive experience, and on several occasions we noticed him get irritated at requests that were given to him. Overall, it was a very poor experience that was not worth half what it cost. I would highly recommend avoiding Le Bouchon. It might have been worth it at some point, but in a city with high caliber restaurants it should be forgotten.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Claude M, Owner at Le Bouchon, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
I appreciate your detailed review. It's very helpful to read through our customers' experiences. I want to apologize for the stale service you received. It sounds like we were understaffed that night -- which is no excuse, but I do want to stress that we usually maintain a much higher level of service. It's important to me that every customer is well taken care of and feels valued, so I want to address any issues upfront. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope you are able to come in and give us another shot. The lamb shanks are not to be missed!

Best,

Portland, Oregon
“Not faddy, just great food and service with French flair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Le Bouchon has been around for a long time in Portland. And it has been passed by to a degree by the latest fad restaurants. That's a shame because this small bistro is always a romantic and culinary treat with reasonable prices and pleasant ambiance. The chef is inventive without being off-putting and produces great French comfort food. I had the prune-stuffed pork while my wife had the duck breast (cooked perfectly- not overly rare as is often the case). The apple gallete for dessert was the best I have ever had.

Support this restaurant with your business. You won't regret it.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Claude M, Owner at Le Bouchon, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
I'm truly flattered by your review – thank you. It's important to me that we stay grounded, pleasant, and inventive. Your support means a great deal to us. Have you and your wife been able to stop in recently?

All the best,
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Waiter is great, food is greater”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was our second opportunity to visit Le Bouchon. The first time was last summer and it was really hot, so we just ate our meal and left. . .one thing they don't have at LeBouchon is air-conditioning! This time was a surprise "date night" outing and it sure wasn't hot, so we went in expecting to spend a little time over our meal. The waiter (same one as last summer) is very helpful , but also fun and quirky, even if the food wasn't great, which it is, I'd enjoy going there because of him. My husband had the rib-eye steak and I had the pork chop special. The mustard sauce on my pork chop was absolutely the BEST I've ever tasted, I swear I could have lapped it up with a spoon. My husband's steak was tender and delicious. We lingered over our meals and then decided to have desert, my husband had chocolate mousse and I had the creme brulee, both were exceptional. This visit to Le Bouchon lasted nearly 3 hours and if I have anything to say about it, it won't be our last visit. Next time we're going to have to ask that waiter's name.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ck23501
Claude M, Owner at Le Bouchon, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your experience! Thank you for taking the time to write this great detailed review. You're right, a pleasant waiter goes a long way. Have you and your husband been able to stop in and see us this summer yet? We actually do have AC, so the heat shouldn't be a problem. If it is, just mention it to us, and we'll be happy to lower the temperature a bit. Hope to see you soon!

Best,
Aloha, Oregon
“Best onion soup”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

A group of us decided to try French cuisine and were not disappointed in our choice of Le Bouchon. The menu offers very tasty offerings from chicken to steak to duck to boulibasse, but my favorite was the onion soup, the cheese was mild, the onions sweet, yummy. They also have a Happy Hour offering to those who eat outside or at the bar.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Senraw
Portland, Oregon
“nothing spectacular”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

It is a French bistro so expect the noise level to be astronomic. The food was ordinary but not downright terrible. Prices were in line. The owner/hostess was quite outgoing and it added to the meal.

Visited August 2011