“Old Tigard Fish & Chip favorite”

Gaffer's Fish & Chips
Ranked #2,740 of 4,293 Restaurants in Portland
“Old Tigard Fish & Chip favorite”
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

I have been coming to GAFFERS FISH & CHIP since 1975. I was 18 years old then and I used by big brothers ID to pass as 21... In those days... It worked!
This is a Tigard landmark... I use to own a record store (yes vinyl records, cassette tapes, disco, the full head shop thing) right around the corner.
This place has not changed 1% over the years! This is local hangout... The fish & chips are very good and they have a small but limited menu. NO! They don't have valet parking or wine with real corks... But if you want some good Fish & Chips and a cocktail, beer and some Sports on the TV... This is the place to go.
I must admit the management could do a very deep clean and scrubbing of everything... But that may remove some of my memory's of 1975... when I was 18...wore a younger mans set of clothes and had hair to my shoulders! "Those were the days my friends and I thought they would never end"!!
Enjoy,
West-Morry

1 Thank West-Morry

Tualatin, Oregon
“The 70s exist here!”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I walked in and was immediately hit with the aroma of stale air, as though someone had not opened a window in months. It is dimly lit, looks as though it was furnished in the 70s and has maybe lost many of its patrons since then.

If you want anything (drink, food, seating), you must go to the bar first, which has many regulars chatting away. I recommend coming in from the "north entrance," which is furthest away from 99W, as you will walk right to the bar itself. At no time did I feel unwelcomed or looked at in a funny way by any of the patrons.

On my visit, I ordered a cup of clam chowder and two pieces of fish (which came with fries). The chowder was canned, that was quite obvious and the fish pieces were and lacked some flavor, reminded me a lot of Long John Silvers (but with a thicker batter).

Do not get me wrong, if you go in for a decent meal, you will get one, if you go in expecting something extraordinary or on par with a real "chippies," then you will walk away disappointed.

One last thing: I know my fish and chips, as it is a delicacy bought on each of my trips over to the UK.

• Visited November 2011