“Makes my family jealous”

Back to Eden Bakery
Ranked #9 of 71 Bakeries in Portland
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Being someone who doesn't eat gluten or dairy, there aren't too many things that I do eat that my family (who doesn't need to worry about these things) actually give me the evil eye over. But if I'm eating one of their amazingly delicious cinnamon rolls for breakfast I'd better have stopped to get them a glutinous/dairy filled pastry. And their cardamom ginger coconut muffins are comfort food at its best. Their prices certainly rival others who sell to the markets, but their flavor WAY exceeds! I've told several coffee shops around if they ever get brave enough to try gluten/dairy free pastries they should check out buying wholesale from these guys. They've got it nailed!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Back to Eden Bakery is another establishment I visited in a short trip to Portland that makes an incredibly strong case for uprooting my life on the east coast and moving to this vegan utopia.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stopped here over the weekend for an afternoon treat. We got a brownie (they warmed it up) and ice cream. It was quite good. Everything in the bakery is vegan. There are also lots of gluten free options. I'd go back here again.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Superbly fresh and amazingly delicious gluten-free vegan fare. What? GF vegan. Yes, and it's divine!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Over a week's stay in Portland with a vegan friend, we ate at Back to Eden every day, making our way through their case of sweets and savories. The savories are full of flavor and rich. All the sweets are fantastic and you will be hard pressed to find better crusts for pies than these--and they're gluten free! You may wonder how it's done, well, it takes a lot of kitchen chemistry, invention, and creativity. Lemon coconut whipped cream tarts absolutely memorable. Honestly, there was nothing that I ate that was less than excellent, with one exception: the doughnuts. They were more like delicious round cakes than proper doughnuts, but still delicious.

Some people come in for expresso drinks, and they do not have them. They do have coffees and teas though. Even if you are not vegan, give these a try!

I've heard they are popular with catering and wedding cakes. You must go in! Friendly staff and eclectic shabby chic interior.