“SW Washington...NOT SE Washington.”
Review of Racion Portland Or - CLOSED

Racion Portland Or
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for a glass of wine. Please note that Tripadvisor has the address listed as being in SE Washington. It is actually on the other side of the river on SW Washington. Great place :)

1  Thank vicdreyer

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I went with 5 other work colleagues...we all have the opportunity to eat out a lot and at some amazing places. Racion stacks up with the best of them...highly creative offerings, spectacular taste combinations, fresh ingredients...all in a rather low key, non-pretentious Portland vibe. We all did the tasting menu with wine pairings and I would highly recommend this as it allows you to experience the full breadth of the chef's creativity.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

There was a review of Racion in the local newspaper and I could not wait to try it. I have heard Anthony Bourdain talk about Spanish modern cuisine and knew this was as close as I was goung to get to try it.
Tacion has a Happy hour from 5-6 and we were able to arrive close to 5 pm. Good thing as the food is extremely slow to arrive. There were three tables of two when I arrived and each dish took over half an hour after I ordered (we ordered one dish at a time).
There are two menus- a tasting menu ($50) and a regular menu. The a la carte menu and the happy hour menu are the same, but the dishes cost $7 from 5-6 and $11 after that time. There are 6 dishes on the menu The tasting menu has some of the same dishes burt also some other dishes and a desert. I believe the menu changes weekly but may be wrong.
The restaurant is very attractive in a modern way-- a 15 seat bar with an open kitchen. from the bar you can watch then two cooks prepare the food which was not as interesting to watch as I had hoped. There are also other tables where you cannot watch the kitchen easily.
Each dish was extremely tasty but small so I do not recomend expecting to share dishes.
There is a limited liquor and wine menu and an interesting cocktail menu.
It was fun and delicious to visit and I do recommend this restaurat but I am not sure that I shall return.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I posted this on Yelp but neglected, until now, to add it to Tripadvisor. I've now been back two more times, and Racion never disappoints...

We just got back from Racion, night 8. Absolutely fabulous. To begin with, I love that, like Tabla (where one of the chefs used to work), you are able to watch the chefs at work and, because it's a small (14 seat) counter, they actually take the time to talk with you and describe the process behind the food.

Contrary to one review here, we found the service to be efficient, not overbearing, punctual and friendly.

Then there's the food. Ahhh, the food. Our night, it started with an amazing take on Ajo blanco, the Spanish garlic-based soup. This mixed in sous vide razor clam tartare, green garlic, and had many tastes simultaneously that nonetheless worked together beautifully.

I actually worried that, with that start, it would be downhill. It wasn't. The shredded halibut cheeks were subtle, beautiful, mixing well with the celery root puree and compressed apple. Then came the salad course. On my first bite, I found the yuzu dressing too sweet, but then I mixed in the shaved foie gras, and the fat cut the sweet and made it a wonderful combination. And that's not to mention the superb cauliflower panna cotta (though I don't know that I've ever disliked anything that includes the word cauliflower or the words panna cotta, let alone all of them). The sous vide pork with root vegetables and purees was rich, deep, and totally fulfilling. Finally, the dessert of many little wonders included dehydrated chocolate mousse, quince sherbet and a number of other goodies.

Can't comment on the wine, as we brought a bottle of tempranillo.

We will be back. Soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

The 'Tasting Menu' is fantastic! The 'Sous Vide Egg' dish defies description for its flavors. The service is friendly and knowledgable. I recommend Racion!