“Great restaurant on the east side!”
Review of Ava Gene's

Ava Gene's
Ranked #89 of 4,293 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Vancouver, Washington
“Great restaurant on the east side!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I had read mixed reviews about this place, so I thought I would check it out for myself. It was a great choice, and I would highly recommend! Although not in expensive, there are plenty of options for every budget (try a small plate or two if you are watching the budget). The service is outstanding! The neighborhood is buzzing, it makes me want to move there!

Austin, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terribly overrated.”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our waitress was very professional and did a great job. The decor is beautiful. The food menu and wine list are in Italian. I struggled. The music is American, not Italian. Strange to me given the food menu and wine list. Acoustics are horrible. The restaurant was very loud. The food menu has a glossary that defines the Italian terms, but the glossary words are not in alphabetical order, so when we saw a word on the menu we didn't understand (many), we had to refer to the glossary often from top to bottom. Our wine was good-- a Chianti Classic Reserve. The food simply was not memorable, at least in a positive way. Overall, we were very disappointed with the overall experience.

1 Thank Diner0345
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Eat here before its too famous to book into”
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Great ambience with subtle 70's music great service from knowledgable team and fantastic food. They offer a tasting if salads - have it they are fabulous. The celery salad is crunchy and the dressing divine. The chinook salmon was cooked to perfection and served simply with some green leaves. Sides available. Then have the Panna cotta absolutely wonderful the best I have eaten anywhere

Portland, Oregon
“BON APPETIT HAS IT RIGHT”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

There are a LOT of good to great restaurants in Portland, Oregon; this one definitely goes in the "great" column!! From the moment you are greeted at the door, you know this is going to be an exceptional meal -- there are no disappointments at Ava Gene. Celery Salad with dates, almonds and parmesan -- order two. You don't care for beets? Carrot and beet slaw with pistachios and raisins will change your mind. The wood-grilled pork "for two or three" is life changing!! Should have ordered TWO!! The penne with roasted tomato and basil was perfection. Our server, Brandon, was charming, efficient and KNEW THE WINE LIST!! Finish your meal with espresso and one of the seasonal gelato choices and smile all the way home.

michigan
“Creative, delicious food all around”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I loved this restaurant. It's not large so make sure you get a reservation!

Looking at the menu I was concerned that there were not that many dishes that I really wanted to try, but the waiter made suggestions and they were all fantastic! Example: the salad section (Giardini) did not seem that interesting and he encouraged us to try some out. We got the three salad taster for $29 and it was a great move. Kale salad and squid/mango/jalopeno salad were fantastic, very creative. Farro, artichoke salad was less interesting.

Pasta dishes were also really delicious (ziti w pomodoro and chitarra with mussels). As was the fresh mozzarella starter--spread a little cheese and sliced up the olives on the bread!

Dessert looked interesting, but we walked down the block and went to Salt and Straw for artisan ice cream. A good move.

My advice: trust your waiter's advice. They know the menu and the wine really well.