“Cookies n cream monster!”

Ruby Jewel Scoops West End
Ranked #9 of 129 Dessert in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Description: Ruby jewel creates extraordinarily delicious ice cream for all to enjoy. Every flavor is carefully hand-crafted daily in our North Portland kitchen using the best ingredients thoughtfully sourced from farmers and food producers in Oregon and around the Northwest. Family owned and operated since 2004, we are committed to supporting the local community, economy, and limiting our impact on the environment wherever possible.
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Cookies n cream monster!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Hit this place up two nights in a row while in town after dinner! First night tried cookies n cream with fresh seasonal pumpkin as my other scoop. Tonight, had to have 100% cookies n cream! Hubby enjoyed caramel ice cream with salted caramel with a scoop of blueberry basil! The favors complemented one another! This shop has been featured on Food network as well as in Oprah magazine! Simple shop with amazing treats! Didn't try the ice cream sandwiches, but they are also available " to go" from the freezer along with pints of various favors!

• Visited October 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“nice treat”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stopped in for a little treat after lunch. The kids size for $2.50 hit the spot. I'd go back if I am ever back in town.

Visited September 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Gotta love the ice cream sandwiches!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Of course the ice cream is delicious (plus, the flavors change AND you can sample each one before buying), but the real selling point for this place is their ice cream sandwiches. You choose which type of cookie (I usually go with chocolate - my wife with chocolate chip), then the flavor of ice cream. Just like that you get a ginormous sandwich of local ice cream/cookie goodness. On the downside, the line can be long on warm days, but it moves quickly and the staff are always friendly.

• Visited June 2013
Louisville, KY
“Coffee with toffee is a winner”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We visited twice during our short trip to Portland. The first time I ordered the Peach Cobbler flavor and wasn't impressed. The ice cream had no peach taste and the "cobbler" pieces just tasted like oatmeal. My husband enjoyed his licorice flavor and convinced me to try it again 2 days later. This time I chose the coffee with toffee and it was FANTASTIC. I absolutely loved it. I would have bought a gallon if I could have! The coffee ice cream itself had a strong coffee flavor without tasting bitter and the toffee pieces were rich and buttery. It was the perfect combination!

• Visited September 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“After licking the container clean, I still dream of the espresso caramel sauce.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I adore ice cream, my favorite food and I used to own a homemade ice cream shop in the late 1990s to 2004. I went to 3 local ice cream places in Portland; this was by far my favorite. I don't want blue cheese ice cream. No, what I want is ice cream and sauce that will make me swoon and utter noises of satisfaction (think sex). This shop does that. I was in Portland 5 days, went there all 5 days, and ordered a pint of the espresso caramel sauce to take home. Now I have to order more. The quality was intensely flavored, ultra smooth, large scoops. Sauce--think burnt caramel for Creme Brûlée. Hot fudge was also great, and I mix the two sauces for supreme deliciousness. Staff were lovely, gave all the tastes we needed to make our decision. Another competitor allowed only 2 tastes. This places offers true comfort food. Wish you were in Chapel Hill,NC.

• Visited July 2013