“Big City Creative Fish in a Little City”
Review of Roe

Roe
Ranked #202 of 4,420 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: SE 31st Ave
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We enjoyed chef Trent Pierce's earlier venture, Fin, during it's short life and waited impatiently for his resurrection in a new space. With the success of his izakaya Wafu, Trent was finally able to satisfy his desire to serve incredibly creative seafood-based cuisine to a carefully controlled small nightly audience of diners. He and partner chef Patrick Schultz dance a sublime choreography as they assemble your food. It's amazing: El Buli level food prepared before your eyes. I have only eaten here twice...so far. Each time we sat at the bar to be able to watch the actual food preparation as well as interact with the two chefs. The first time we went for the four course tasting. Last time we worked through the full 10 course chef's tasting menu. We dutifully ate and drank through a full four hour extravaganza of food. The service is impeccable, attentive but not smothering. Each course is small but they do add up. And each is a surprising, unpredictable combination of ingredients, flavors and techniques artfully compiled. And everything comes from a small open kitchen with no oven, real stovetop, deep fryer or other traditional equipment. Food is preped in a sous vide bath and on a few magnetic induction hot plates supported by an amazing mise en place. While no pricier than other highly respected Portland restaurants Roe offers a new level of sophistication. We are the kind of insane foodies who have planned a two week trip to Peru mainly just to eat. If you are looking for something different, exquisite, delightfully surprising , flawlessly devised created and served save the airfare and eat here!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Roe exceeded my very high expectations. Located in a soundproof private room at the back of one of my favorite restaurants (Wafu), Roe reminds me of what a refined speakeasy would feel like if such a thing existed. The food was simply superb, beautiful to look at and even better to enjoy. The four of us ordered everything on the menu and shared. Suffice to say that each of us vowed to come back and order separately so we wouldn't have to share the dishes. Each course was simply too good to share. Our server was knowledgeable but not intrusive, enhancing the experience. While this is one of the more expensive restaurants in PDX, it is also one of the finest based on my first time visit. I will be heading back soon for a special occasion and recommend this to anyone who loves seafood and appreciates fresh ingredients and imaginative culinary presentations.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I was really looking forward to dining at this new Portland restaurant. Unfortunately, the hype did not meet expectation. First, the wait staff seemed to be trying to hurry us in placing our order, yet we waited an unbelievably long time for our main course to arrive (one of 4 on the tasting menu). When our entrees arrived, they were cold and all four were returned to the kitchen for warming (no microwave, so I'm not sure how this was accomplished). .As we sat there waiting for our food, a member of our party was being subjected to drips from the pipes above. Second, the food was fairly bland and tasteless. To be fair, some of our party liked the food better than I did, but for the price, I will seek my dining experience elsewhere. Too bad, because I loved Fin, the chef's former restaurant.

1  Thank karenh
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The service, the food, the total experience was fantastic. The menu has 4 sections that you can order freely or a 4-course guest choice ($60) or a chef tasting ($90). Apps are $14-16, Entrees $25-32(lobster), cheese $9, deserts $8. We started with smoked octopus tartare wrapped in beef carpaccio with dill and creme fraiche; followed by butter poached dungeness lump crab with crab salad, crab brain aioli and squid ink roll; ending with confit butterfish with matsutake espuma, cauliflower mushroom, parmesan dashi, truffle ponzu and delicata squash... just melted in our mouths. All was wonderful.. oh we enjoyed it with a suijin junmai sake and a 2004 Merry Edwards Klopp Ranch Pinot.