“Excellent food, great wine list”
Review of Gallo Nero

Gallo Nero
Reserve with OpenTable
Gallo Nero is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #630 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I may have a new favorite Italian restaurant in town! This is a great little place serving mostly Tuscan dishes, the food was well prepared and presented and the service was excellent with only a minor lapse which was corrected. The wine list has an excellent selection of Italian wines with Chiantis heavily represented, as the restaurant's name would suggest. Particularly welcome is a decent selection of wines by the glass. As another reviewer pointed out, it can be quite noisy. It is a small space and you may be seated close to an exuberant party!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I liked Gallo Nero very much! We went on a Monday nite, they seemed to be a little short staffed, but their friendliness and attentiveness made up for any lapses in service. The food was outstanding! I had the cheese plate app, which had more cheese on it than I expected. They had a very nice Italian wine selection, I picked something I never had before and it was very good, I was not disappointed. Main course was the Filetto( filet steak in a red wine reduction). It was very tender and served perfectly rare the way I like it. My wife had the veal kabobs served with chimichurri sauce. It was so moist and flavorful that it didn't even need the sauce. My friend had the fish stew served in a red sauce that he loved. Overall a great restaurant and I would definitely go back

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We made last minute reservations and were very impressed. Reminded me of eating in Italy. Slow paced, time to enjoy your food. The only downfall was it was very loud, but this was due to other costumers, maybe seats outside next time if the weather permits. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for an authentic Italian experience with some of the best food in Portland. This is not a place to come in and rush through a meal kind of place.

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Surprised to find this authentic Italian restaurant in the Pearl District. Our family gathering filled about half of this quaint restaurant - which suited us perfectly. Loved the tasting menu. Good value and showcased the food. The ravioli with butter and sage was to die for and desserts were tasty. We enjoyed sneaking bites off each other's plates and all agreed that this restaurant was a hit. Can't wait to go back to try more.

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

With some colleagues we decided to try Gallo Nero.
We're Italian tired from American food after some days here.
The restaurant is small but you may find immediately Italian ingredients near the door.
Simple but good the appetisers. Fresh made pasta and good desserts. Good service.
To be suggested