“Upscale Yummy”
Review of What's the Scoop

What's the Scoop
Ranked #70 of 127 Dessert in Portland
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

This is an ice cream shop worth visiting. We had the kahlua espresso in a cone and it was so great. It wasn't heavy tasting but was very rich at the same time. The waffle cone was as good as the ice cream and while we didn't have any toppings, they sounded heavenly. It was your traditional kiddie cone shop and was a breath of fresh air.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

I am an absolute lover of ice cream and ALL types of ice cream for that matter. I would have loved to have taken the time at this beautiful ice cream parlor enjoying their ice cream...instead I scarfed my ice cream down as I was completely puzzled by the horrendous customer service I received. The store was empty when I arrived so I am still completely in shock that the girl serving ice cream samples was incredibly impatient, pushy and had such a sour expression on her face...it was just too much! To top it off the ice cream is PRETTY EXPENSIVE. Forget this place. Go down to Alberta where the staff is pleasantly smiling even when the lines are out the doors!! Don't ask me about the ice cream...I don't even remember it after this experience!

1  Thank vyakal
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I am always all for supporting local businesses and this one is really easy to stand next to. Everything they serve is made right there-even the waffles are baked. They have great rotating flavors, my favorites are the ones that have bourbon in them. Great staff, always very friendly. I always like to take our out of town guests here. We always get the baked Oregon, which is more than big enough for two to share.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Unable to commit to one of the numerous and delicously sounding flavours, we tested the staffs patience by asking to sample nearly all of the ice-cream on hand. The staff was cheerful and helpful...and allowed us to make the perfect choice. Way better service and variety than other neaby icecream joints. North Williams is enriched by this place.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

These two stars aren't for "What's the Scoop's" ice cream, oh no. It wasn't for Mia's excellent service as the ice cream sampler bar girl, nooooo she was adorable. My lack of appreciation for "What's the Scoop" is from the behavior of my ice cream scooper.

When I went to order, she began scooping my Sizzling Strawberry Ice Cream, and whilst doing it, she utilized her thumb for leverage. Well I don't need to bore the reader with cross contamination, or about the items that fall into food, or even food service and the health department, personally I don't care, I've eaten in some pretty disgusting places in some pretty disgusting situations.

What I slowly got frazzled about was the infantile way this young lady evolved into when I merely brought up the fact that "I hope you washed your thumb prior to serving me this ice cream". It's not that she said anything wrong, well except for the initial denial, but she came to terms with the fact that her sparkling clean sanitary thumb was used as a cranes shovel. But, sadly providing me with new ice cream was overshadowed by her bombastic and sardonic actions.

Her over-reactions of washing her hands and saying "See Sir, my hands are clean" were not appreciated. Her tossing my old ice cream in the trash as if she got a parking ticket, also were not appreciated, 1her snide little facial expressions when ringing me up, yes, certainly not appreciated. Then running away in the corner and having a melt down until her male counter part intervened, well that just showed me what an jerk I was dealing with.

Unfortunately as my boss told me 30 years ago, "you can't put an old head on a young man's shoulders", well these are words to live by, as I learned, many many times, the onus of sometimes your actions mean less then your reactions. Yes, it was a stupid thumb, but please little girl, don't make it my fault. You blew a tip, you blew redemption, all because you had a temper tantrum. Suck it up, I'm far older and still make mistakes, but I've learned to used a little humility over smart Alec attitude

What ever terrific ice cream that come's out of What's the Scoop, can easily be made up by their competitors "Salt n Straw". I know if my little server ever read this completely she would want to blow this off, I say, please use some humor, or humility, because your not that smart!