“Generous samples and patient staff with ice-cream fiends”
Review of What's the Scoop

What's the Scoop
Ranked #68 of 128 Dessert in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Seating, Takeout
Ottawa, Canada
“Generous samples and patient staff with ice-cream fiends”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Unable to commit to one of the numerous and delicously sounding flavours, we tested the staffs patience by asking to sample nearly all of the ice-cream on hand. The staff was cheerful and helpful...and allowed us to make the perfect choice. Way better service and variety than other neaby icecream joints. North Williams is enriched by this place.

• Visited March 2013

Miami, Florida
“Ice Cream good, but a customer service issue!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

These two stars aren't for "What's the Scoop's" ice cream, oh no. It wasn't for Mia's excellent service as the ice cream sampler bar girl, nooooo she was adorable. My lack of appreciation for "What's the Scoop" is from the behavior of my ice cream scooper.

When I went to order, she began scooping my Sizzling Strawberry Ice Cream, and whilst doing it, she utilized her thumb for leverage. Well I don't need to bore the reader with cross contamination, or about the items that fall into food, or even food service and the health department, personally I don't care, I've eaten in some pretty disgusting places in some pretty disgusting situations.

What I slowly got frazzled about was the infantile way this young lady evolved into when I merely brought up the fact that "I hope you washed your thumb prior to serving me this ice cream". It's not that she said anything wrong, well except for the initial denial, but she came to terms with the fact that her sparkling clean sanitary thumb was used as a cranes shovel. But, sadly providing me with new ice cream was overshadowed by her bombastic and sardonic actions.

Her over-reactions of washing her hands and saying "See Sir, my hands are clean" were not appreciated. Her tossing my old ice cream in the trash as if she got a parking ticket, also were not appreciated, 1her snide little facial expressions when ringing me up, yes, certainly not appreciated. Then running away in the corner and having a melt down until her male counter part intervened, well that just showed me what an jerk I was dealing with.

Unfortunately as my boss told me 30 years ago, "you can't put an old head on a young man's shoulders", well these are words to live by, as I learned, many many times, the onus of sometimes your actions mean less then your reactions. Yes, it was a stupid thumb, but please little girl, don't make it my fault. You blew a tip, you blew redemption, all because you had a temper tantrum. Suck it up, I'm far older and still make mistakes, but I've learned to used a little humility over smart Alec attitude

What ever terrific ice cream that come's out of What's the Scoop, can easily be made up by their competitors "Salt n Straw". I know if my little server ever read this completely she would want to blow this off, I say, please use some humor, or humility, because your not that smart!

• Visited July 2013
Yakima, Washington, USA
“Lots of Flavors”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stopped by after dinner. We weren't hungry but the smell of the waffle cones brought us in. We're glad we stopped. Lots of choices, and they are more than happy to give you BIG samples to taste. All of us were happy with our choices, even my son who got vanilla!

• Visited June 2013
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Probably the best ice cream I have had in PDX”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Happened to stop by after Dinner at Tasty N Sons.......

Loved the ice cream.....can recommend the Bourbon Toffee Ice Cream......We will be back!!

Visited April 2013
Chicago
“Great flavors!”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Though the atmosphere is nothing special, the staff and flavor options were delicious (my husband was a little upset there was nothing with peanut butter though). Definitely less options than the website lists, but plenty delicious things to choose from and very generous samples to try! Also, no line to wait in while other local ice cream shops with similar flavors had a line around the corner!

• Visited September 2012