“They take their tea seriously”
Review of The Hazel Room

The Hazel Room
Ranked #532 of 4,343 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Hazel Room serves a small rotating but thoughtful brunch menu daily focusing on seasonality with vegan and gluten-free options. We serve dozens of loose leaf teas, coffee drinks, and cocktails. The Hazel Room is nestled in a century old home and offers a cozy environment adorned with rotating local art.
Key West, Florida
“They take their tea seriously”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Sat down with a few friends for brunch, got the Dragon Jasmine green tea, very fairly priced, my cohorts got teas that came in french presses.... the server brought a timer with their teas so we could know when it was done.

Very friendly, nice decor :)

• Visited February 2013

Portland, Oregon
“Great Find on Hawthorne”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The Hazel Room is small Cafe/Tea Room/Cocktail place.-- I did not know you were there -- until I went to the Hawthorne Street Fair. The building is quite interesting, an old cement block PDX house with outdoor seating. Inside was a very cozy atmosphere, wood wains-coating, turn of the century copper tiled walls and a fireplace to boot. Aviation themed sketches framed on the walls by a local artist. The owners have really put some thought into blending their business with the age of the house.

Though very busy the day we found it, we were lucky enough to find a table inside. They were serving Brunch and we dug right in -- I had Tamarind Pulled Pork on Biscuits with gravy - piled high. My husband had an egg sandwich with proscuitto. Both dishes were AMAZING. I topped my morning off with a Golden God -- imagine Champagne with a kick. The menu offers various vegetarian, vegan and gluten free items, soups, salads, gourmet sandwiches and this wonderful brunch on weekends that we were enjoying. I watched other dishes come out in skillets -- and happy smiles on customer faces. The shop offers tea, coffee and specialty alcoholic drinks.

I rushed to Tripadvisor to share my experience with all of you -- and to my delight I found I'm the first one to review -- they are fairly new to the neighborhood. I'm pasting their website here, so you can check them out. Really, really a nice place and I would highly recommend a visit.

The Hawthorne District is not only a wonderfully eclectic neighborhood but it's a tourist destination and I can't think of a better place to bring someone while visiting Hawthorne Blvd. In addition to The Hazel Room in this charming house-- there is also Mag-Big -- a really fun boutique with lots of jewelry, clothing and art -- all made by Portland people -- a true souvenir for those from out of town.

Enjoy Hawthorne and The Hazel Room.

• Visited August 2012