“UNIVERSITY GRILL HAS CLOSED”
Review of University Grill - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
University Grill
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I have to give a single star here because the fact this restaurant has closed is "terrible." This was one of the better places in N. Portland for serving large portions, hot and keeping your coffee cup filled up. The property has been purchased to knock the building down and put up a New Seasons store which is just what we need - another grocery store.

There was some talk about the owners restarting the business in a new location and I hope that does happen. The Alton Family worked hard to make this a good place to visit and have a nice meal at an affordable price.

Date of visit: August 2014
1  Thank MrRodgers2011
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Very bad experience. Went there to get breakfast, which they were still serving. Was served the breakfast menu and regular menu and ordered chicken fried steak and poached eggs. Waitress told me they had a special black angus chicken fried steak that was larger and better and that she would see if they still had it to serve. She came back and told me they had no more gravy for chicken fried steak and there would be no chicken fried steak, so I had to change my order and I then ordered ham and poached eggs. She came back a second time and told me the poacher was in soapy water already and there would be no poached eggs. The waitress apologized profusely. At that point, I left the restaurant. They must have the Portland prima donna cook. Why serve breakfast if they don't cook breakfast.

Date of visit: June 2013
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Housed in what used to be a McDonalds restaurant, the University Grill has been transformed into a warm inviting place for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It also has a small intimate bar in a separate room and a huge parking lot. Cars get lost in the large parking areas, so it appears there are not many customers, which can be misleading. Meals are priced in the medium range, the tables and booths are next to large windows so the space seems larger and more open.

My most recent trip was for the 2 egg breakfast which is coupled to either pancakes (2) or hashbrowns, toast and sausage or bacon. My choice was link sausage and pancakes. I got scrambled eggs, 2 pancakes about 6 inch diameter and 5 large link sausages. Wonderful! Everything was served piping hot, coffee was kept filled and wait staff was very attentive without being intrusive.

My only negative on University Grill is the hard tile floor which can create more noise in the dining area than is welcomed when most of the room is occupied. Some sound damping wall hangings or additional ceiling noise baffles would be a good investment.

Bottom Line here is a great place for a casual meal, good solid American menu (includes biscuits and gravy) and everything made from scratch on site.

Date of visit: November 2012