“Great Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Picnic House

The Picnic House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Picnic House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #179 of 4,252 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Built in the historic lobby of the original Heathman Hotel. Great for Groups, Grab & Go, or Dine In. Rent a Picnic Basket filled with food and take it to the park.
Heber Springs, AR
“Great Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

The entire menu was very unique and every ingredient was of extremely high quality. Soups ,salads and sandwiches showed creativity and freshness. Interesting interior in a good way. My highest recommendation! Right now it is hidden from view by construction but is worth the bother.

• Visited July 2013

“A nice find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I found this place while wandering around the Portland historical district. There is an immediately feeling of spaciousness upon entering the restaurant: a variety of seating areas spread below the high ceilings. The food was basic but good: my chicken was moist, the asperagras was nicely grilled, but the mashed potatoes were slightly cold on one side. They offer generous pours on wine and spirits, but I found the wine list less than inspiring. Our waitress became less than attentive seemingly due to working the bar for a group. While we waited, we were quite entertained by the activities of the street people...gotta love Portland.

• Visited July 2013
“Awesome!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

I am visiting Portland with my boyfriend from Pennsylvania and happened to stumble upon this amazing restaurant our first day downtown. I work at a farm to table restaurant so I have pretty high standards but this place surpassed them for sure. The staff was super friendly especially Phillip, who was our server. I had the grilled cheese and tomato soup combo. The soup was so magnificent that Campbell's should definitely take some notes. The boyfriend had the shrimp sandwich and a locally brewed beer, which were also very tasty. To finish off we had the grilled pound cake which was a fantastic end to a fantastic dining experience. The decor was almost as unique as the food, a mix of old antique and modernity. This place is a must. I love it!!!!! xoxo

• Visited June 2013
“Interesting historic locale”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

I met a friend for lunch. We were told by the staff that it was the original Heathman hotel lobby. It seems a bit grimy. Wait staff were nothing spectacular. It took way to long for our dessert to arrive. Now, the food was delicious and interesting. I had buffalo chicken sandwich and sweet pea soup. Both were very tasty. I highly recommend the soup if you like peas... So fresh. Price.... I think $12 for a sandwich is a bit steep. Overall, is recommend it as an interesting place in the center of the city.

• Visited May 2013
Dallas, TX
“What a great idea!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Basically, the idea of a picnic without the bugs. I had great dinner in a very interesting space. Food was excellent and the service was that Portland understated friendly 'yeah- we-are-the-coolest-place' vibe...

Visited November 2012

Been to The Picnic House? Share your experiences!