“Really liked it!”

Boke Bowl
Ranked #409 of 4,491 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

Just recently went for the second time, and it was a hit again!

The food:

Excellent ramen bowls - good sizes portions, you really don't need any appetizers. I had the pork bowl and added fried chicken. Both were delicious, the fried chicken I would go out of my way for! Delicious seasoning. I also added an egg, a little too undercooked for me, will skip that next time.

We've tried all of the bun appetizers which were delicious as well, but makes the meal much more expensive and you don't need them.

The atmosphere:

Modern, clean, and utilitarian. Basically you are there to eat. Some tables are community style. Sauces on the tables, water is self serve.

The service:

You order your food in line, then find a table to sit at. Your food is then brought to your table. Service was adequate, but not warm and friendly either time we were there. Kind of the standard Portland attitude. It's not cool if you are too friendly.

We will definitely be back because it's all about the ramen. I actually crave this stuff now.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

In searching for a ramen noodle place in Portland I came across Boke Bowl. It's located in an industrial section of Portland, so parking at lunch was a bit of a challenge but eventually we got lucky. The restaurant is in an old industrial building and looks true to its origins except way funkier. You order and they give you a number and deliver. Not a long wait at all. Ordered the Pork belly and slow poached egg ramen bowl and it was WOW real ramen, where have you been all my life? I wanted to bring it home with me. I have never tasted it as good as it was here. All of our group of four loved it. And did I mention how much you get for such a good price! Thanks, Boke Bowl. Next time I will get their Sake to go with it.

1  Thank mcdedrick
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Went here with some friends over the weekend and tried a few different things, all delicious. This included the pork dashi, the caramelized fennel dashi and the fried chicken rice bowl which were each were flavorful, rich, and satisfying. The feel of the restaurant is clean and simple, very accommodating and family friendly plus they have the coolest soup spoons! Love this place and have already been back in the span of a few days, I will most certainly be back many times again.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

The fried chicken is to die for here. The rest of the menu is pretty good, but nothing compares to a fried chicken rice bowl. The variety of flavors is incredible. You'll get pickled mushrooms, seasonal vegetables, bamboo shoots, kim chi, and of course, the amazing fried chicken.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

It's not exactly on the beaten path, being in an industrial area of the east waterfront in Portland, but once you are inside you are very happy! The exact nationality is not clear, but it's definltely Asian and I would guess Korean. There was a reassuringly large contingent of Asian customers, always a good sign. The menu choices, on the large tall wall, are noodle bowls and rice bowls with various options. I chose a shrimp rice bowl with cornmeal oysters on the side. It was outstanding!! We were a family group, including young children, and they were quite content as well. I sent my grandson back for two vanilla miso twinkles for a shared dessert. Wow! Even the labels on the condiments were creative, with pictorial images of the spiciness levels. I enjoyed my shiso vinegar drInk as a not too sweet new thing to try. I would definitely go here again. Fun for everyone and pleasantly different.