“Great Place Great Food”

Cuisines: Asian
Tacoma, Washington, Usa
“Great Place Great Food”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Went here with some friends over the weekend and tried a few different things, all delicious. This included the pork dashi, the caramelized fennel dashi and the fried chicken rice bowl which were each were flavorful, rich, and satisfying. The feel of the restaurant is clean and simple, very accommodating and family friendly plus they have the coolest soup spoons! Love this place and have already been back in the span of a few days, I will most certainly be back many times again.

• Visited May 2014

Happy Valley, Oregon, United States
“You have not had fried chicken until you've had Boke's”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The fried chicken is to die for here. The rest of the menu is pretty good, but nothing compares to a fried chicken rice bowl. The variety of flavors is incredible. You'll get pickled mushrooms, seasonal vegetables, bamboo shoots, kim chi, and of course, the amazing fried chicken.

• Visited April 2014
Hayden Lake, ID
“What a fun lunch place this is!”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

It's not exactly on the beaten path, being in an industrial area of the east waterfront in Portland, but once you are inside you are very happy! The exact nationality is not clear, but it's definltely Asian and I would guess Korean. There was a reassuringly large contingent of Asian customers, always a good sign. The menu choices, on the large tall wall, are noodle bowls and rice bowls with various options. I chose a shrimp rice bowl with cornmeal oysters on the side. It was outstanding!! We were a family group, including young children, and they were quite content as well. I sent my grandson back for two vanilla miso twinkles for a shared dessert. Wow! Even the labels on the condiments were creative, with pictorial images of the spiciness levels. I enjoyed my shiso vinegar drInk as a not too sweet new thing to try. I would definitely go here again. Fun for everyone and pleasantly different.

Visited March 2014
Beaverton, OR
“The brussels sprout and cauliflower salad was a big pleasant surprise”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stopped by Boke Bowl's Water Avenue location for lunch during our spring break vacation. There is only on-street parking in the neighborhood, which is mostly industrial, so finding parking can be a bit of a challenge.

The restaurant is modern and trendy, with community seating consisting of several long rows of tables. If you're looking for a fun meal, this is an interesting twist. Being able to exchange opinions on the various entrees with the stranger sitting next to you can be a neat experience.

We opted for some rice bowls, namely the pork and shrimp versions. We also ordered the brussels sprout and cauliflower salad because we heard it was very good.

First off, the brussels sprout and cauliflower was a really pleasant surprise. It's a great combination of savory and sweet, and the flavor was completely different from what I had mentally prepared myself for, when I took my first bite.

The rice bowls are an amazing combination in space of a single large noodle bowl. A small bed of rice provides the foundation for a variety of different sensations, from the warm cooked shrimps and sliced mushrooms to the cold pickled cucumber slices and sampling of kim chee cabbage. I could sample different flavors by just dipping my chopsticks into different areas of the bowl.

We'll have to try their ramen bowls next time. Prices were a little on the high side at first glance, but the variety in just one bowl offsets the prices. One bowl made a solid meal for each of us.

• Visited March 2014
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Awesome for Lunch!”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This place is great for lunch. The food is just really good, but a bit different. They are different in that they are not trying to be some sort of Asian fusion, they just serve most of their food in a bowl with a really good broth. They have a different style of seating, seat yourself where every you can find space, I go during the lunch rush and never have a problem finding a seat.

The place is not cheap but the food quality and portion size is perfect. I always leave filled up but not weighed down.

If you want a little different lunch and something more experimental, check it out. If your afraid of your food touching and need someone to seat you this is not your place.

• Visited March 2014