“new NW Portland location now open”
Review of Bamboo Sushi

Bamboo Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Bamboo Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2012

You no longer have to head to SE Portland to have this amazing sushi ave experience. They serve sustainable fish that is uniquely well prepared and presented in a beautiful manner. Another BIG plus is that there are some really terrific vegetarian options. I plan on returning here often.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Bamboo Sushi built a great reputation at their Eastside location, so I was excited to have the opportunity to eat at their newer Westside location when I was in town for the weekend.

Bamboo Sushi made their reputation by being the first certified, sustainable sushi restaurant in the world. Being a sustainable restaurant can be hard work; being a sustainable sushi restaurant is a truly remarkable feat. All the fish comes from healthy, ethically fished populations. They prepare and serve the freshest fish, meats and produce and it’s a joy to watch the sushi chefs deftly prepare each dish. In the May, 2012 issues of Bon Appetit, they were listed as one of the best new sushi restaurants in America.

I was warned that it would be expensive, but that is usually the case when eating fresh, raw fish at a reputable restaurant. There have been several sushi restaurants over the years which have made a name for themselves in Portland and Bamboo Sushi has joined the ranks as a top player.

We arrived at about 6:00pm on a Friday evening and were quickly seated at the sushi bar (our choice). The team behind the bar was energetic and quickly made us feel welcomed. Water with a cucumber slice was quickly placed in front of us and was shorty followed by a salted edamame appetizer.

The menu has everything you’d expect plus a lot of creative roll options that I’ve never seen before. We started off with a Kaiso Seaweed Salad which was a mixture of seaweeds in a sweetened rice vinegar dressing ($6). It was a nice size and the fresh flavor of the seaweed was delightful!

An order of Spicy Scallops ($5) was creamy, but the spice overtook the delicate flavor of the scallops. Too much spice meant the dish wasn’t balanced. Too bad since the creamy scallops texture was incredible.

Next was an order of Assorted Sushi ($15) which included five pieces of nigiri and four pieces of California roll. The portion size of the roll was tiny and there wasn’t anything WOW about it. Still, the nigiri was excellent. The selection was good, the sizes were average, and the freshness could be seen as well as tasted.

I wanted hamachi sashimi (yellowtail) and they said they had amberjack (which is basically the same thing in flavor and texture). It was two pieces ($5) of incredibly fresh, sweet meat, thickly cut. Excellent!

One item I always order to check the quality of a sushi restaurant is the Salmon Skin Roll (should order as a Hand Roll). The salmon skin was crispy and flavorful, but the roll was very skinny ($7). I expected a bit more from the roll, but in looking at other rolls being eaten by our neighbors, most were, what I consider, on the small side. Regardless, it was yummy.

With our meal, we had delightful Sake, but I don’t remember the name. Very crisp with a smooth finish. It was poured into a shot glass which was placed in the traditional wooden, lacquer box. They overflow the sake which makes for a very fun presentation.

There is such a wonderful selection of items to order, that you can go back again and again and never have the same dishes…but you’ll figure out your ‘must have favorites’ and they will always taste as if it was caught and cleaned and plated within the last hour!

1  Thank PALTravel
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The food, drinks and service made this an amazing restaurant. The albacore carpaccio was fantastic. There are so few memorable dining experiences but our evening at Bamboo Sushi would fall in that category.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Loved this place. Brand new location. Excellent sushi

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I have visited this new location of Bamboo Sushi twice in the last two weeks.Having never been to the original location I was not quite sure of what to expect but I had heard good things. Keep in mind that this is a brand new operation that has only been open less than three weeks.

My initial impression was one of teamwork and harmony. This is true from the moment you enter the door until your finished your dining experience and leave.The service here is flawless, it is like a Swiss watch: Precise! To me as a fellow restaurateur, the reasons are obvious.They were selective on their hiring and trained the staff extremely well on working together as well as being knowledgable about their menu.

On my first visit my servers name was Joshua. He had not been employed by the other location, but his knowledge of the menu and his ability to explain it to group of folks with little knowledge of Japanese food was stunning. He reminded me of veterans of many restaurants with 10 or more years experience.

Now for the food. We had several dishes including Sushi,appetizers,side dishes which were both hot and cold etc. Every thing we consumed was very appealing to the eye as well as to the appetite! I will become a more frequent guest here. This is such a nice addition to our neighborhood.