“Fantastic introduction to Portland - please tip!”

Secrets Of Portlandia Free Walking Tour
Ranked #7 of 112 Tours in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The last Free Tour of 2017 was on Friday, September 29th, 2017. The daily Free Tour will resume again on Thursday May 10th, 2018. During the summer season, the Free Tour starts every day at 11am on the sidewalk of SW 6th Ave in front of Pioneer Courthouse (across the street from Pioneer Square and the Visitor Information Center.) No reservation necessary! Just show up! Look for Erik in his NEON GREEN SHIRT. The tour meets 7 days a week, rain or shineThe tour is about 2 to 2.5 hrs long and ends in front of Voodoo Donuts and the Saturday Market.
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I joined the Secrets of Portlandia walking tour on my first morning in Portland as I had no idea where to start and thought this would give me a good introduction to the city. I was not disappointed in the slightest! Eric, our guide, was fantastic and gave an interesting, humorous and engaging commentary throughout the 2 hour walk - a mixture of history, popular culture and insights into the life of everyday Portlanders. We visited, among other places, Pioneer Square, a farmer's market, the Portlandia statue, and ended up near Voodoo Donuts where I just had to try the bacon maple donut! He also gave great recommendations of things to do and places to eat and drink after the tour and during the rest of our stay - I was really glad to visit the Portland City Grill bar/restaurant on the 30th floor of the US Bancorp tower, recommended by Eric for the stunning views over the river and mountains.
Though this is advertised as a free walking tour, it is well known that the guides work for tips and I was a little disappointed by some of my fellow travellers that they did not leave a tip - you're not pressured into giving money, or into giving a specific amount, but this is how these guys make a living and considering you could pay upwards of $20 for other, more impersonal tours, they are worth every penny!

3  Thank missylisa

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Engaging guide. Great time of day. You need not have watched the show on TV. He foes tell one cheesy joke about a fondue restaurant but I like such jokes. Don't miss

1  Thank nycmom22
Reviewed July 9, 2014

You couldn't ask for a better free walking tour of Portland! It was very informative with plenty of humour and fun worked in. This was the first thing we did in Portland and it gave us a great base for further exploring later on in the day. We were part of a large group, but Eric did a great job of managing it.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Eric tells a lot of very interesting history about the City . Many different stops along the way. Might be difficult for elderly/slow walkers. Not only is he entertaining, he is cute! It took around 1 1/2 hours and we felt it was just about right. I think he said that our group was the largest he ever had, July 4th weekend. Although his tour is 'free', this is how he makes a living so you should definitely put money in his hat. Other tours charge $20 and his tour is worth that for sure. Don't be a cheap-*ss at the end.

1  Thank go_mommy
Reviewed July 5, 2014

After experiencing a few free walking tours, this is without a doubt the best I have ever experienced. The history is fascinating and it will open your eyes to the city. The guide is very good at communicating the information. I would have missed so much about Portland if I did not do this.