Review Highlights
good tour; value added

Summary: good tour; value added I have done many free walking tours in the past 2 years... read more

Eutychus22pub
Colorado Springs, Colorado
via mobile
A fun, free, family-friendly walking tour of Portland

thehungrymum
Sydney, Australia

All reviews two hours quirky facts pioneer square voodoo donuts smallest park portland's history portland weird public park great stories great recommendations great guide visiting portland downtown area food carts erik jokes information
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Summary: good tour; value added

I have done many free walking tours in the past 2 years throughout Europe and the US.

My wife and I feel Erik did a good job of demonstrating why the Free Walking Tour Concept makes sense: he worked for and earned every penny of the money we gave him (equivalent of a paid-for tour). He was informative, entertaining, and accommodating.

Afterwards (and throughout the tour) he gave us excellent recommendations for food, drink, and misc. entertainment.

While Portland may not have the historical depth of other European cities that consider Portland's rise to be a mole-hill relative to their historical timeline, Erik managed to imbue to us visitors a wide breadth of historic and cultural knowledge that was value added. I would recommend to others.

Note: he needs to remind his tour (at the end) that they need to review him on social media, etc.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was such a great tour and host Eric made it really enjoyable, despite it pouring and being absolutely freezing. Eric is knowledgable, hospitable, interesting and easy to chat to. We had only arrived in Portland the night before and coming from Australia knew very little about the place. By the end of our trip we were spotting Bensen bubblers from 50 paces. My 10 and 12 year olds also really enjoyed the walk. Thanks Eric :)

Reviewed October 6, 2018

Although the day we went was pretty crowded, the tour guide was well organized and and kept us all together so that no one missed any of this fun information. I would have enjoyed a bit less time at each stop for the sake of covering a bit more area. However, this is meant to provide secrets, not a city tour so it delivered what it promises. Very interesting information and time well spend!

Reviewed September 27, 2018 via mobile

Eric’s free city tour was a great way to start our trip.. Hes funny and entertaining. He’s been a tour guide in different cities around the world so he knows what he’s doing. He’s also from Portland who loves his town and enjoys what he does.

Reviewed September 27, 2018 via mobile

I do not recommend this walking tour to anyone. After two hours I still feel I know next to nothing about Portland. Eric started every sentence with the word "GUYS!" which became dreadfully tedious. Each point was laboured over for far too long, to the point that it became boring and, whilst a few comments were amusing the tour itself was not particularly funny. A large part of the tour was dedicated to advertising later (paid) tours, which I was not there to hear about. At each stop Eric told a number of anecdotes about "past" tour attendees, none of which sounded legitimate and at one point launched into a largely irrelevant discussion about ancient Rome. I guess you get what you pay for, though and I'm sure Eric tries his best.

1  Thank riayolesmith
Reviewed September 26, 2018

Went on this topur with Eric while in Portland. Lots of stories. Not a lot of walking and very informative. Eric is fun and knowledgeable. Ends at worlds smallest park where a legendary leprachan lives. The 2 hour tour goes fast.

Reviewed September 21, 2018

My family with 12 & 14 year olds were kept entertained and informed for just over 2 hours. We recommend this tour, for a bit of history, info on Portland and tips. Just had a fantastic meal at Screen Door- as recommended by Eric.

Reviewed September 11, 2018

This is a nice walking tour which really isn't much of a walk. The first 35 minutes were spent standing at the Pioneer Square listening to Eric's stories and history of the square. While it was interesting and entertaining it got rather boring after the first 20 minutes with the desire to start moving and see/hear something else. The rest of the tour was less than a mile of walking with several standing long-winded talks. In the end we saw the smallest garden in the world which ended our tour. While I enjoyed this tour I think it would have been much more enjoyable with more walking, more sights and perhaps shorter talks at the few sights we saw.

1  Thank DeeDeeCalifornia
Reviewed September 11, 2018

This guy is EXCELLENT!! incredibly knowledgeable and very interesting. He will keep your attention and knows all the details. I know it is free, but we tipped him $60 and feel we should have tipped him more.

Reviewed September 8, 2018

I really liked this tour. Eric was engaged, talked at the right speed for me, It was informative: we were laughing and learning all the way. We stopped about 5 or 6 times to hear some interesting cultural or historic story or two over the 2 hours. It was more interesting to me than tours that are just fact after fact. I recommend it.