“Going Downhill Fast”

Ranked #83 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Roswell, Georgia
“Going Downhill Fast”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have be going to the SpringHill Suites at the Portland Airport at least twice a year since they have opened which we "think" was around 10 years ago. The staff was always friendly and courteous.The last 2 times we have stayed there and especially over Labor Day weekend was not up to the quality we have experienced at any other Marriott. The staff at the front desk were rude (especially in the evening) and the most unfriendly staff we have ever encountered at any hotel. Do they have a new Manager that never trained these "kids" on customer service? Our room was not cleaned one day and we went down to the desk and the rude "boy" said "oh well, it's too late to have somebody come and clean now" and then blamed the fact that the room wasn't cleaned cause we had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, we left the hotel before 11:00 AM - one would think that this is enough time to clean the room. The carpeting in the newly decorated suite was stained and disgusting. The breakfast area was dirty and had to ask numerous times to refill the coffee, eggs and waffles. There were never enough towels at the pool area. Were were the newspapers that were always available at the front desk? We could go on and on and on but unless someone at Marriott reads this review and really cares, I am afraid nothing will be done. We have reservations in a few months for 4 rooms and have decided to look at another hotel for our family. How embarrassing would it be to have our family stay at a 1 Star hotel?

Room Tip: Try and get a room that is clean - Good Luck!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sandra F R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Edmonds, Washington, United States
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My Fiance and myself had just arrived from Hawaii.
We had to wait 45 minutes for their courtesy shuttle.
The driver would not help load our luggage and did not say more that two words.
When we arrived at the hotel there was only one clerk for a line of 9 people.
When it was out turn to check in. There was no greeting or smile.
My Fiance presented his Marriott Gold Elite Card and American Express card.
The clerk then asked do have a reservation? We said yes. The clerk then asked what is the name on the reservation? We said you have my Gold Elite card.
The clerk then asked what type of room do you want?
We said look at our reservation.
After 15 minutes of hostility and ignorance we finally had our room key.
This clerk was not trained by Marriott.
When we entered our room I immediately noticed the TV was about to fall off the wall.
The carpet had stains and was not vacumed.
The indoor pool looked lovely, but it was too cold to swim in.
The internet kept cutting out. We could not use Skype. Skype kept saying our connection was too slow. It was Arthur did a speed test. .7826Kbps. Shari's restaurant down the street was 3Mbps.
After dinner we returned to the hotel.
I pulled back the sheets on the bed. The sheets were never changed. There were red hairs.
It was too late to call for house keeping.
This was enough. In the morning we checked out and moved to the Marriott Residence Inn at the Airport.
What a difference. Friendly courteous staff A Marriott quality clean room. And 10Mbps. internet speed. They also used their shuttle to take us to a wonderful riverside restaurant called Salty's.
The pool was also heated.
Their breakfast buffet was also wonderful A different hot entree everyday.
Also a managers welcome reception with wine and finger food.
When we return to Miami. My husband will write a detailed letter to Marriott about the Spring Hill Suites at PDX. Truly it should not carry the Marriott name. We will tell all of our friends and blogs about that horrible hotel.

Room Tip: All Marriott's at PDX are excellent except Spring Hill Suites.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Norma D
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times while traveling through Portland. The hotel is close to the import and has a shuttle service that is friendly and reliable. The value is good, rooms and not fancy but clean and comfortable, a Marriott characteristic. Breakfast is reasonably varied and well stocked. This is not your luxury hotel but a place I can always rely on for a good night of rest.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I haven't a clue what property this hotel was before it became a Spring Hill Suites, but evidently Marriott Corp has never been there to see it. It reminds me of a Days Inn or some other property that was rebranded.

Several issues that no one at the front desk would resolve for me.
1. Was purposely placed in a handicapped room. The front desk clerk told me this was my request when I checked in. Now I know I never ask for a handicap room, no reason. I attempted to get moved to another room, but was told because there was a record of my requesting they could not. Later in my stay I asked if the property was sold out and was told they were at about 65-70% occupancy. The room was horrible. No place to sit. The TV was placed so only someone in a wheelchair could comfortably be in position to watch it.
2. When I made the reservation I was quoted $162 for AAA rate for a standard King Suite. The sign for rack rate on the back of the door stated $159. That alone is against Oregon law. When I asked about the sign I was told they old and no one paid attention to them.

The parking was horrible at the hotel. There was a sign that stated if you parked next to the hotel you had to move by 7 am or risk being towed. So where were we supposed to move?

I hate writing negative reviews of Marriott properties because they are my favorite. But it seems that some franchisees are just being lazy or don't care about their guests.

Will I stay at this property again? Possibly, but I hope things change before I am back in Portland.

Room Tip: Make sure you double and triple check before you finish your reservation that you don't get stuc...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DrFood
Spokane, Washington, USA
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was in town for a quick overnight visit and elected to stay at this property both because it is a Marriott brand and because I have stayed in this geographic area (near the airport) several times before at other properties. My business in Portland was in the Stark area so this made for easy access. This property has a fresh and modern look and the price was very reasonable. My own schedule did not allow me to enjoy the pool or the breakfast, so I cannot speak to those amenities.

Room Tip: I was on the top floor and it was quiet. No sleep interruptions whatsoever.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Boston MA Area
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here the first night of our vacation because it was near the airport. The shuttle picked us up promptly when we called. We loved the décor/colors in the hotel, both in the lobby/hallways and in the room - very pleasant greens and blues (even in the bathroom). We used the pullout couch and had no issues; it was clean and comfortable, as was the rest of the room and the hotel as well. The room would be tight for a long stay (family of 4 with 2 teenagers) but was fine for one night. (For a family of 4, there isn't much room for your luggage anywhere in the room). Breakfast was good and there was plenty of variety, and the kitchen staff kept everything stocked during a very busy period. All of the staff including the shuttle drivers were pleasant and professional. All in all, this was a nice hotel for 1 night at a good price.

Room Tip: We had a 2 queen bed room with a pull out - the teenagers each had a bed so there was enough room fo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2013

overall our stay was alright. The staff was probably the worst part of our stay. Seems like the girls who work there don't know how to smile or talk politely. The male employees were really nice and smiled a lot. I called down to the front desk to ask how much they charge for mouth wash and the reply the lady gave me was "i dont know", so I had to go down to buy it when someone else was working. Then the next day I called for towels, a blanket and a bar of soap the lady told me to come down and get them from her... The house keeping staff is nice and polite as well as the staff that work in the kitchen. The beds were probably the worst beds I've ever slept on. The sofa bed was dirty and the mattress was yellow and the springs would poke you when you sleep. Only one machine works in the gym of the hotel and the hot tub is yellow and green which made us change our mind about relaxing in it. Overall, if the staff was more nice and polite my stay would have been much better.

• Stayed August 2013